IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Moscow?

Alex High

Hello everyone,

I was looking online for some pictures of palms in Moscow, when I came across this picture (1st one below) of a Phoenix canariensis at the All-Russian Exhibition Center. It looks at least 10 years old and I was wondering: can and does it survive without winter protection? There are actually several Phoenix canariensis there. I found more more pictures/google maps streetview of them, which I will put below as well. I was also wondering if any of you knew of any other palms in Moscow. Thanks!

Palms USA

Moscow, RUSSIA - July 2, 2019 , A flower bed with a palm tree and white stones in front of the pavilion of Uzbekistan at VDNKh Stock Photo

Wikimedia Commons photo:

File:Moscow, VDNKh, palm tree in Main Alley (31500817041).jpg

Google Maps street view of the palms

image.thumb.png.b68107b61c93aec666d1735f02c5e416.png

Google Maps street view of the palms

image.thumb.png.6300ebdfb4edc26a54ca7cece3dc88c9.png

those are diffidently annuals 

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

You joke. :D Palms spend their summer holidays outdoors there. They'll take them all into greenhouses to overwinter. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

those are diffidently annuals 

24 minutes ago, Antti said:

You joke. :D Palms spend their summer holidays outdoors there. They'll take them all into greenhouses to overwinter. 

Yeah, they certainly seem like annuals. I didn't think there was any way they could survive outside in the winter, but why would Moscow spend money installing giant Phoenix canariensis palms only to have to haul them back inside come winter? I don't even think a needle palm has a chance unprotected in Moscow. Thanks!

Edited by PalmsUSA

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

I think  the key to their survival, is that they get watered with vodka. 

AHAHAHA THAT IS SO FUNNY XD

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

2 hours ago, PalmsUSA said:

why would Moscow spend money installing giant Phoenix canariensis palms only to have to haul them back inside come winter? 

Why do some individuals in this forum do the same thing?  We're certainly not as capable or have as much resources as the Kremlin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Why do some individuals in this forum do the same thing?  We're certainly not as capable or have as much resources as the Kremlin.

True, good point.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 12:10 AM, Fallen Munk said:

So do I. Damned heavy pots! :D

• Like 1

A quick google search for pics of the exhibition center shows some pics with the palms and others without. So probably kept inside for winters.

Definitely annuals that are taken into greenhouses in winter.  In DC at the US Botanical Gardens they haul out  very large ( much much larger than those pictured here) Phoenix Canariensis in very large containers.  Im talking these things are 20 feet or more tall at the tips of the fronds.  They storm them in large greenhouses in winter.  

3460724273_f5f7df39f5_b.jpg

botanic1.jpg

• Like 1