IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocoa Beach update

Cocoa Beach Jason

Beautiful landscaping, great job from a fellow UCF alum.

Edited by Lou-StAugFL
  • Like 2

Lou St. Aug, FL

That's gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. Do you do a lot of protecting the plants or is it a warm enough microclimate? BTW is the canal always that green? Is that from the fertilizer run off in the yards?

27 minutes ago, chinandega81 said:

That's gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. Do you do a lot of protecting the plants or is it a warm enough microclimate? BTW is the canal always that green? Is that from the fertilizer run off in the yards?

It is green a lot in the rainy season. We are very far from the closest inlet and the water is stagnant here for the most part. In the dry season it looks much better but as you can see gets ugly in the rainy season. I don’t do any protection. It’s a good microclimate. But my luck will run out eventually and we could get zapped for sure up here. The Hydriastele beguini and the Verschaffeltia splendida are in pots and come in once or twice a year when it gets in the low 40’s or upper 30’s. Crossing my fingers it keeps staying as warm as it’s been. 

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

It is green a lot in the rainy season. We are very far from the closest inlet and the water is stagnant here for the most part. In the dry season it looks much better but as you can see gets ugly in the rainy season. I don’t do any protection. It’s a good microclimate. But my luck will run out eventually and we could get zapped for sure up here. 

Your neighbors have a great view of your yard. Too bad they don't get inspired by your tropical oasis! I think with the warming climate your palms and plants will do well for quite some time. I can tell you work hard on your yard, it shows. It's just a great set of pics and I enjoyed them all. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to updates on the other side of this winter!

HOLY CRAP!!!!  Your pictures just took me down a nostalgic trip!!!!  I grew up several blocks south of you on 4th St South, I immediately recognized your house as I had friends that lived on your street.  Many times I passed that house while riding a bike or skateboard during the 90s, and the landscaping sure didn't look like that then....NICE WORK!!!!!

• Like 2

On 11/22/2020 at 3:07 PM, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

05004447-34D0-4C0A-9C7E-4548374CE131.thumb.jpeg.2729ad43ae8ee085f49050a95ad10ed9.jpeg

Is this the palm from this post?

On 6/7/2015 at 11:25 PM, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

Planted this little Panama Tall this afternoon.

post-7521-0-72755400-1433733920_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On 11/24/2020 at 6:50 AM, Zeeth said:

Is this the palm from this post?

No, I moved the panama tall away from that spot to my front yard. Here it is now. image.thumb.jpg.c93538cdb9ca60335c354e12ed250692.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.52c0a6d8f294158de70068e4fe30a98e.jpg 

image.thumb.jpg.5b9b89118fe8bc65987bdc8bccac2333.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.bcac23dac67ef06e0df20657bb4e7995.jpg

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2020 at 10:06 PM, kurt decker said:

Is that a cyphophoenix elegans by the garage? Very nice

Yes. It just started trunking. image.thumb.jpg.8b0dfc8172980bff96d7bc27bb51e7c8.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.04ee3a9f6c2920ecdcac645168268bd4.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3e6d5e1391937f503c0e5cddc38f7f27.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 7:36 PM, chinandega81 said:

Your neighbors have a great view of your yard. Too bad they don't get inspired by your tropical oasis! I think with the warming climate your palms and plants will do well for quite some time. I can tell you work hard on your yard, it shows. It's just a great set of pics and I enjoyed them all. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to updates on the other side of this winter!

My immediate next door neighbor is a palm and aroid nut too and she has some good stuff over there. I will steal some photos from her yard and post them here at some point. 

• Like 2

Hey Jason,

My wife's grandmother lives a few street away and whenever I am in the neighborhood I purposely drive past your place to see your front yard.  I recognized your house right away and knew somebody must be a palm tree lover.  Anxious for my palms to get a few more years under them like yours.  

• Like 1