CodyORB

Repotted my Jubaea seedling in Florida

CodyORB

148A852B-49ED-4BDA-A44B-928AC70FED9B.thumb.jpeg.5456ca20c7ee937bd87e06f0702e1fb0.jpeg

I moved this 3-4 month old baby up from a cup today to a 3 gal (?), with large holes at the bottom with tons of perlite. It looks small but the root system was already busting the seams. I’m keeping the seed and the growing point above the soil as that keeps it safer from rot (in my experience). A lot of people think it’s crazy to grow Jubaea in a humid climate, but it’s the nematodes that’s do them in. A very freely draining pot out of the soil is a safe bet. I won’t be fertilizing yet. Let’s see where we go from here! :D

Edited by CodyORB
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

gtsteve

I was wondering why you left it sticking out like that, fair enough.

• Upvote 1

subsonicdrone

nice palm

Edited by subsonicdrone

CodyORB

9EFBBED7-7EFB-4A80-8B22-55985312D5FE.thumb.jpeg.399cb1325170b270679d87e14e2e06c8.jpeg

Here we are a few days later. Virtually unfazed by direct sunlight and dryness (only 1 watering + light rainfall, days of parched soil). High and dry, these things are indestructible!

• Like 1

Fallen Munk

Jubaea loves that.  They push their way out of the soil when they germinate.  I just let them do what they want.  Some of the very first I germinated I tried to keep them buried and they rotted.  

jubaea germination2.jpg

• Like 2