IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms that can take wet feet

Brad52

I have a spot where I'd like to plant a couple palms but I've observed that during heavy rain (not uncommon) these spots will have standing water for a few hours.  I recall seeing posts of a palm species that does fine in such conditions but do not recall the species.  So my question, what palms suitable for such wet sites should I consider here in Puna?

1 hour ago, John hovancsek said:

Maritia flexulosa

My that is a big lad!  

To expose the lava, I'm peeling off the root mass covering a nicely shaped lava flow/shelf that faces another one coming from the opposite direction.  There is a low area in between them and it is a pond today.  There are a few spots adjacent to or in these flows where I could plant a palm and nice palms growing out of a lava shelf seems like it would be attractive.  The best planting sites are under water right now.  It looks like some pockets for bromeliads on the flows and I can plant kalo or other wet tolerant plants in the pond though it is deep enough today I'm not sure about that. 

With your average temperatures there are tons of possiilities. If I lived where you do, I’d have a grove of Red Ceiling Wax palms (Cyrtostachys renda). 

FE182887-62FA-4267-8363-6A21A56F0EB2.thumb.png.223dfefafbdb783a3fa92a0a536d8659.png

DE9627DD-72FD-4177-B48D-0EB408E245CB.jpeg.c3a3af9f48447e1292d42296cd161dce.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

1 minute ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Red Ceiling Wax palms (Cyrtostachys renda). 

I'd probably do the same:greenthumb:

Another species that wouldn't mind these conditions (because it is partly sharing its habitat with Nypa fruticans) is Oncosperma tigillarium (photo from palmpedia):

Ot01.jpg

• Like 5

Ravenea musicalis, ha ha. Although I do remember Jeff at Floribunda doing his best to keep one alive..

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

1 hour ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Cyrtostachys renda

I am planning on getting some of these and their contrast with the lava would be outstanding, thus far all the ones I've seen are quite pricey save for the wee sizes, I am hoping to find a good source of larger pots that are not quite so pricey.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Brad52 said:

I am planning on getting some of these and their contrast with the lava would be outstanding, thus far all the ones I've seen are quite pricey save for the wee sizes, I am hoping to find a good source of larger pots that are not quite so pricey.

Walmart has small ones for 15$ I just got a few because of the price

All Roystonea and many Livistona. Euterpe oleracea as well. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ravenea rivularis love it wet and look great when happy.  A lovely smaller clustering species is Mauritiella armata.

Various Raphia species are big and impressive and like it wet.

• Like 2

For smaller ones, I know Licuala Grandis, Peltata and Peltata v. Sumawongii like it swampy.  My local FL grower MB Palms grows his in pots with no bottom holes.  He buys (or makes) pots with holes a couple of inches up the sides, so the bottom of the pot is always soggy.  I think (but am not sure) that most Licuala like growing in swamps.

Fairchild has a cluster of Nypa Fruticans growing in the lake, I'd love to grow that one here.  But, alas, it takes severe damage below about 33F and 2 died at Leu Gardens in the 29F 2009 freeze.

• Like 1

I think it's great that many of the species on my wish list are popping up here as tolerating or thriving in wet soils.  Yesterday I had a small pond about 20" deep in the area and 3 hours later it had drained.

If you want something smaller to go along with your other choices, Hydriastele rheophytica is a very slender clustering palm with an elegant look. In habitat it grows along riverbanks,  thus the name rheophytica.  I would guess it will respond well to being flooded now and again. However if your chosen spot is unremitting full sun, maybe not such a perfect choice? Mine get some degree of shade off and on during the day. 

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Very nice looking the Hydriastele rheophytica, the shade I have is what will be created by other plants not yet in ground.  I hope to visit a nursery this week where I might be able to obtain a couple of larger palms that might throw some shade.

Licuala ramsayi 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Cocos nucifera.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 11/23/2020 at 8:33 PM, abdalav said:

Copernicia prunifera

Can Copernicia Prunifera take tons of water and swampy soil?  I planted my small seedlings in a drier, full sun and sandy area in my lot, since the Palmpedia site said they originated in dry savannah areas.  If they are happier with more water then I should probably adjust my drippers on the triple in the ground.

Took this list palm shopping today but only managed to obtain the Maritia flexulosa for the wet area.  Still managed to get 11 more species though for other sites, thanks to a visit to the Bill Austin nursery - thanks Bill for the hospitality, conversation, tour and great plants!

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 10:44 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

Can Copernicia Prunifera take tons of water and swampy soil?  I planted my small seedlings in a drier, full sun and sandy area in my lot, since the Palmpedia site said they originated in dry savannah areas.  If they are happier with more water then I should probably adjust my drippers on the triple in the ground.

They live in marshes and river banks located in a very dry habitat called caatinga.

• Like 2