IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Viable Blue Med seeds, BUT HOW...?

Jubaea_James760

So my Blue Med has some viable seeds but I read you need a male & female plant to have viable seeds. On some occasions I know this is possible to have a clump with male & females grown together out of multiple seeds germinating or seed drops near plant growing with it but has anyone heard or seen on rare occasions a single plant (with 3 trunks) produce both male & female flowers? 

Only other explanation (likely scenario) is my Green Chamaerops Humilis was the pollen donor. But from 50+ feet away? I have never seen seed on my Green Med & I always suspected it a male.

Below i attached 2 recent photos showing the old seeds pollinated early this year & new flowers coming out. I have no photos of what happened earlier this year (flower wise). I'm no expert on flowers but they look like more females, what do you guys think? Thanks

-James

P.S. all 3 trunks have new flowers & old ripe seeds fyi.

20201110_155822.thumb.jpg.fafd66cb5c0ca607575df24d058aa7ba.jpg

20201110_155804.thumb.jpg.e8151e65cbae519335f7c38bc39a756f.jpg

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

I suspect your green med fan is the father. 50 feet is actually really close and flying insects will transfer the pollen or even the wind on a windy day.  Med fan can also have different sex flowers on each sucker although this is rare. They can also have male and female flowers on the sane spray. I personally had a male plant that developed a few seeds on the end of a male spray.

Regards Neil

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, James760 said:

So my Blue Med has some viable seeds

I collected seeds from a blue Chamaerops I collected at a nursery a few years ago.  It didn't occur to me until later that they might have been pollinated by a green one.  :wacko:  The seeds germinated and 2 years later they are still green.  Are they 'hybrid' and stay green?  Or will they turn blue later?  If they're 'hybrid' will they be more cold hardy than the green one?  I guess time will tell.  But I think Neil is right and I'm betting that your seeds will produce green seedlings.  Those do look like all female flowers to me.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Thanks guys! Im trying to germinate a few to see what they'll look like. I think I'm going to cut off my Green Chamaerops flower from now on. I'll just have to acquire some Cerifera/Argentea pollen down the line :greenthumb:

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106