IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why does my Parlor Palm have pale leaves?

SunnySoCal

Having trouble figuring out the problem; there are also some brown spots, and not just on the tips- some of them are in the middle of the leaves. Really worried about mites, though it could also be because of a vent (which I moved it away from recently), or because our tap water has lots of lime. I mist it daily. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

25B5F68E-151A-4E18-912B-B35E29004645.jpeg

Edited by SunnySoCal

Hi Sunny, welcome to the forum.

That problem could be from a few causes. It may be mites, look carefully under all of the leaves with a magnifying glass. Those buggers are tiny. Parlor palms are very tolerant and adaptable  usually considered bullet proof for indoor growing. Could it be sunburn?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 10:33 PM, SunnySoCal said:

Having trouble figuring out the problem; there are also some brown spots, and not just on the tips- some of them are in the middle of the leaves. Really worried about mites, though it could also be because of a vent (which I moved it away from recently), or because our tap water has lots of lime. I mist it daily. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

25B5F68E-151A-4E18-912B-B35E29004645.jpeg

Welcome to Palmtalk!

Can you zoom out a bit and take a wider photo of the leaf, and of the entire crown of the plant?  

Just based on what little I can see in the one photo that looks like sun scorch (burn).   These palms will burn even under somewhat mottled sun, especially if they have not been slowly acclimated to getting a little direct sun.  I know because I have done this myself.  In fact I had a tall mature one of these accidently get left in full sun for several hours.  It turned nearly white, then all the leaves accept for the spear leaf died.  It did however recover.  

It seems to be doing better now, I’ve been misting it with diluted hydrogen peroxide every so often because I heard it works against mites, it seems to perk up every time I give it a treatment 

Hi Ian,

I am not convinced that diluted hydrogen peroxide would perk up a plant normally but it probably won't do any harm either.

It would perk it up if it cured a problem like fungus that was holding the plant back. It is not usually associated with killing mites, but if it works for you, that's good. 

Fungicide, insecticide, miticide, they are all different , it is usually cheaper and more effective to use the more specific product for your requirement, (if you know what it is.)

The palm does not look too bad but as you say it is a bit pale, I think that it needs more nutrients, any general purpose fertilizer would do me, but others can probably direct you better.   

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

11 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Hi Ian,

I am not convinced that diluted hydrogen peroxide would perk up a plant normally but it probably won't do any harm either.

It would perk it up if it cured a problem like fungus that was holding the plant back. It is not usually associated with killing mites, but if it works for you, that's good. 

Fungicide, insecticide, miticide, they are all different , it is usually cheaper and more effective to use the more specific product for your requirement, (if you know what it is.)

The palm does not look too bad but as you say it is a bit pale, I think that it needs more nutrients, any general purpose fertilizer would do me, but others can probably direct you better.   

Thank you for the advice!! I was going to wait until spring to fertilize but I'll go ahead and do that, will let you know if it helps. 

On 12/5/2020 at 1:35 PM, SunnySoCal said:

Thanks for the info and warm welcome guys, here’s that second pic 

C60BC3D4-FB6E-48EE-8A08-05A0789CB9AD.jpeg

Thanks for that!   While the zoomed in part does look like part of it may have gotten a little sunburn, I can see that the entire plant is a more pale green.  This is usually an indicator that the palm need some fertilizer.  Being that its indoors I don't think it would hurt to give it a little food once over the winter.  They tend to feed more heavily during the most active parts of the growing season which is typically summer.    I use Espoma Grow organic.  Its not palm specific but it has done wonders for my palms that get a bit pale / yellow, and has turned them  back to a deep green in short order.  

I dont see any evidence of spider mites which can be a problem for indoor plants / palms, especially in winter, but it still a good idea to either mist your palm with water once a week or so, and / or even give it a shower.  I used to do this when I kept them indoors up north  and it kept the mites at bay very well.

• Like 1

some deficency maybe

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

To everyone saying it needs fertilizer, you were right, we’re looking much better now. Thanks you all for the advice. 

....or as we say in Kentucky, thanks y’all

D2BC40C2-22E8-4707-B429-3BCF7E3E7E6E.jpeg

• Like 1