• Similar Content

• Collectorpalms
      By Collectorpalms
      Anyone having any luck with pure Butia in central Texas? Initially several of the largest in the area looked like they had some green in the center. However, now more than a month later they look worse. These experience around 5F. I must have had too much faith in their cold hardiness?
      Should they be trunk cut now that the green is fading? I am asking for someone who has 7 nice ones that is hesitating. Copper fungicide applied and last checked a couple weeks and only 1 spear pulled then.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I germinated these seedlings several years ago. They are still tiny but hanging in there. I still have dozens of them. I believe they are D. madagascariensis v mahajanga but I need confirmation from a Dypsis afficionado. I got the seeds from @NatureGirl back in 2018 or so. They are maddeningly slow growing as some Dypsis are but are surprisingly resilient. They stay outdoors in the shade year round and get no protection from the elements. I have dozens of them I am looking to sell as I don't have time and energy to keep herding them around.
      Are these D. mad v mahajanga?

• Mr.SamuraiSword
      By Mr.SamuraiSword
      Was passing through Macon Georgia last week, and was surprised at some of the palms. Spent around an hour driving around. One place called AP's Hidden Hideaway Restaurant on 4275 Broadway Dr, had some tall Washingtonia Robusta, especially for interior GA.  Quite a bit of winter burn, 30 - 50% of fronds were fried, most fronds had some burn.

Tallest ones here,

Some of the worst burn on these,

These three seemed more like filibusta. thicker trunks and all, and considerably less burn.

Couple more, volunteer on the bottom right.

In Washington Park in downtown Macon, were a couple very old Sabal Palmetto, I talked to a few people in a palm forum on FB and they said those palms were there and around the same size 1980s, so these were probably planted at least in the 1940s

Love that Lolipop Look.

Quite a few volunteers in the park, two of which were adult palms.

Across the street from this park, was another large volunteer, growing in a sidewalk.  Shows how long the old ones have been there.

Quite a few other interesting palms around town, the Hideaway also had quite a few Chinese Fan palms, mixed in with pindos and Washys.

Plenty of nice pindos around too.

Nice one in Downtown

Plenty of other great sabals around too.

Lots of nice Trachycarpus around, but only got to take photos of these two big ones.

Young Washingtonia in downtown, looking great.

Small Chinese Fan in downtown,

The Hideaway had tons of large Sago Cycads too, total of over 40 sagos at least.

One even naturalizing. 

Speaking of volunteers, the downtown region had plenty of sabal volunteers, clearly palms have been present for quite some time.

More Sagos around town, plenty of big ones.

Keep in mind I only looked around for about an hour, so this is only the tip of the palm iceburg in Macon

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Can anyone confirm the ID of the seeding Zamia in the photos below? Could it be Z. loddigesii x pumila? Something else?

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      Thoughts on id? It started to lean then sprouted the new growth point which is primary now.  It had what appeared to be the second small seedling near the base when I bought it, which has been slower than the new growth point.