IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dimimelbourne

Hi all,

I’m new on here and to this wonderful world of palms. What started as a tropical plant hobby has turned into a fun and for-filling obsession apexed by a love for graceful palms. Scouring through Facebook market place, I came across this beautiful palm which was sold as a c. Renda but I’m unsure as it seems to lack the vibrant red even at 4ft tall. As I live in a temperate climate i understand it’ll be a challenge to grow too so any tips would be greatly appreciated! It’s pretty warm right now so I have it sitting outside but will definitely bring it in if temperatures drop below 15c (59f.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dimimelbourne said:

Hi all,

I’m new on here and to this wonderful world of palms. What started as a tropical plant hobby has turned into a fun and for-filling obsession apexed by a love for graceful palms. Scouring through Facebook market place, I came across this beautiful palm which was sold as a c. Renda but I’m unsure as it seems to lack the vibrant red even at 4ft tall. As I live in a temperate climate i understand it’ll be a challenge to grow too so any tips would be greatly appreciated! It’s pretty warm right now so I have it sitting outside but will definitely bring it in if temperatures drop below 15c (59f.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

hard to tell from the photos  really, but usually you would start seeing the red on some of them even as younger plants.   I'd take a guess that maybe it was sold mislabeled.   Wait and see what happens when old leaves begin to fall off.  

• Upvote 2

It resembles a regular C. renda in all respects, minus the color. Probably grown in a packed shadehouse while pot-to-pot. Get some time release fertilizer on it and see what happens.

Ryan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

South Florida

2 hours ago, Palmarum said:

It resembles a regular C. renda in all respects, minus the color. Probably grown in a packed shadehouse while pot-to-pot. Get some time release fertilizer on it and see what happens.

Ryan

Thanks for your replies. So maybe give it a bit more sun, a pot upgrade and see from there? I don’t mind if it is a hybrid as I have heard they’re easier to care for, even in summer here in Melbourne I couldn’t leave it outside the whole time as we do get nights dropping down to 14c (58f) sometimes.

• Upvote 2

On 11/20/2020 at 10:24 AM, Palmarum said:

I asked someone who lives up in far north Queensland (known to have a tropical climate) and she said that she experiences fungal troubles when keeping c rendas constantly wet.  She suggests watering it only moderately and letting it dry a little. I found this interesting as it contradicts everything I’ve read thus far about this Palm. Especially given as she grows them in a tropical and humid climate. Anyone else experienced this?