Dimimelbourne

Hi all,

I’m new on here and to this wonderful world of palms. What started as a tropical plant hobby has turned into a fun and for-filling obsession apexed by a love for graceful palms. Scouring through Facebook market place, I came across this beautiful palm which was sold as a c. Renda but I’m unsure as it seems to lack the vibrant red even at 4ft tall. As I live in a temperate climate i understand it’ll be a challenge to grow too so any tips would be greatly appreciated! It’s pretty warm right now so I have it sitting outside but will definitely bring it in if temperatures drop below 15c (59f.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DCA_Palm_Fan
1 hour ago, Dimimelbourne said:

Hi all,

I’m new on here and to this wonderful world of palms. What started as a tropical plant hobby has turned into a fun and for-filling obsession apexed by a love for graceful palms. Scouring through Facebook market place, I came across this beautiful palm which was sold as a c. Renda but I’m unsure as it seems to lack the vibrant red even at 4ft tall. As I live in a temperate climate i understand it’ll be a challenge to grow too so any tips would be greatly appreciated! It’s pretty warm right now so I have it sitting outside but will definitely bring it in if temperatures drop below 15c (59f.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

hard to tell from the photos  really, but usually you would start seeing the red on some of them even as younger plants.   I'd take a guess that maybe it was sold mislabeled.   Wait and see what happens when old leaves begin to fall off.  

• Upvote 2

Palmarum

It resembles a regular C. renda in all respects, minus the color. Probably grown in a packed shadehouse while pot-to-pot. Get some time release fertilizer on it and see what happens.

Ryan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dimimelbourne
2 hours ago, Palmarum said:

It resembles a regular C. renda in all respects, minus the color. Probably grown in a packed shadehouse while pot-to-pot. Get some time release fertilizer on it and see what happens.

Ryan

Thanks for your replies. So maybe give it a bit more sun, a pot upgrade and see from there? I don’t mind if it is a hybrid as I have heard they’re easier to care for, even in summer here in Melbourne I couldn’t leave it outside the whole time as we do get nights dropping down to 14c (58f) sometimes.

• Upvote 2

Dimimelbourne
On 11/20/2020 at 10:24 AM, Palmarum said:

I asked someone who lives up in far north Queensland (known to have a tropical climate) and she said that she experiences fungal troubles when keeping c rendas constantly wet.  She suggests watering it only moderately and letting it dry a little. I found this interesting as it contradicts everything I’ve read thus far about this Palm. Especially given as she grows them in a tropical and humid climate. Anyone else experienced this?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I was taking photos of a seeding Zamia when I noticed volunteer palm seedlings popping up around its caudex. I pulled the seedlings but I am unable to place what palm they might have come from. Their leaf shape reminded me of a germinating Licuala but I have no Licualas planted in the yard and none of my potted Licualas has yet to flower. On one of the photos you can see one seedling still holding onto a black pea-sized seed. Does anyone recognize the species in its infant form? I will pot them and grow them up for future photos.
      Mystery Palm Seedling

This last photo shows one of the seedlings (far left, circled) in the Zamia pot

• PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      Hey guys!
      I bought a small (7") c. renda seedling from Hawaii about 10 months ago and have been trying to keep it happy here in my Seattle apartment.  It's definitely had some ups and downs but I finally have it in a setup that it actually seems to like and wanted to share it on here. It's been in this new pot and setup for approx. 4 months now and it's FINALLY starting to push out new growth.
      I have it potted in a 10" lechuza classico self watering planter.  It's planted in a homemade pon mixture composed of equal parts white pumice, black lava rock, red lava rock, (all of these 1/4" size), akadama, and zeolite.  I keep the reservoir in the planter constantly full with filtered water, and I take out the inner pot weekly to flush the substrate and rinse away any salt buildup.  Once monthly I'll replace the water in the reservoir and add a half strength dose of FloraGro 2-1-6 hydroponic nutrient solution.
      I've also added a 6" wide seedling heat mat to keep the root structure from getting too cold (winter in Seattle can be very tricky).  I basically wrapped/duct taped it around the inner lechuza container so it's warming the root structure and ran the power cord out the watering hole. (see picture)  I have it positioned next to my work desk with a mild red/blue grow light directly next to it.
      After a bumpy first 6 months it seems like she's finally happy, I'm noticing new leaf spikes on three of four trunks and they are coming in at a decent growth rate.  The red color is also starting to develop nicely on the largest trunk.  Anyway, just wanted to share my grow with you guys!  It's definitely my most intricate/experimental setup, I'll keep this thread updated with her progress over the coming year
      I always love to see how people are growing this palm indoors so please add pics and descriptions of what has/hasn't worked for those of you who have experience with it!  Thanks for looking
      Loch
      Seattle, WA

• Dimimelbourne
      By Dimimelbourne
      So I’ve had this beautiful palm for a few weeks now I think it’s doing really well.
       I bought it as a lipstick palm but multiple people have told me it’s more like to be a “Delight” form. Characterised by the orange crown shaft and bronze color of new emerging leaves. I have been keeping it in a shallow tray of water almost constantly and either have it outside in a sunny spot or inside by a big bright window if the temps drop below about 60f.
      It’s summer here in Melbourne so it will be interesting to see if it will survive the winter, even indoors but so far I’m really impressed. All the fronds seem super healthy and every stem seems to have a new emerging leaf. 
      I have heard this form of C Renda is more hardy in relation to temperatures but I am not sure I want to let my guard down and just leave it outside. Especially as we have a really volatile climate here in Melbourne.
      Just sharing some weekend appreciation
      Dimitri

• chocolatethunda
      By chocolatethunda
      Hi all,
      I was wondering if it is possible to propagate Cyrtostachys Renda (lipstick palm, sealing wax palm). Any advice on doing this is highly appreciated.
      Below is one I bought here in Aruba