chocolatethunda

Euterpe Oleracea, Açai Palm, Germination

chocolatethunda

Hi all,

I finally received seeds I ordered from rarepalmseeds.com here in Aruba (small island in the Dutch Caribbean).
I would very much appreciate some suggestions on methods for germinating and care after the germination. I will keep updating the thread as they grow for future references.

Below are the suggestions I'm most eager to learn about of the seed type (Euterpe Oleracea, Açai Palm)

1. Soil Medium for germination? (perlite, peat moss, coco coir?)
  2. Soak in water? (how many days, fungicide bath?)
  3. Does the sinker/floater test apply to these seeds too?
  4. Heat mat?
  5. Depth of Pots and soul medium after germination?

IMG_1638.JPG

NatureGirl

Like this....

all my seeds are moved inside on heating mat now that the weather is a bit cooler.

F5F0A968-4B9B-419D-817A-339C114ECF2D.jpeg

D005F1D8-50FC-482F-A1FE-B341CAFFEB7C.jpeg

7D9A1DA8-2A20-42F5-A91C-D35F7D54C5FE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

chocolatethunda
3 minutes ago, NatureGirl said:

Like this....

all my seeds are moved inside on heating mat now that the weather is a bit cooler.

Thanks @NatureGirl, what is the medium you have them in? 

NatureGirl

Spaghum moss. 

• Like 2

Jan Jo

I'm a relative novice with germination, but this year I'm trying out several species.. 

I bought some Euterpe Edulis x Euterpe Oleracea seeds from RPS. I tried 3 in small pots in a tupperware tray on heating mats indoors, 3 in small pots outdoors on a south facing wall and 3 in a bag on a heating mat indoors. All covered to keep them dark. 

The first and only to germinate of the 9 seeds so far is one of the ones kept in a pot indoors... The medium is potting soil heavily ammended with perlite.. 

IMG_20201121_200956_copy_750x1000.jpg.3064208a8e4a2d44843123bc2925274e.jpg

Crossing my fingers it survives and the hybrid is more hardy than pure Oleracea which would be a waste of time in my climate... 

Good luck with yours, keep us updated! 

J

Edited by Jan Jo
  • Like 1

Jan Jo
On 11/19/2020 at 11:17 PM, NatureGirl said:

Spaghum moss. 

Is that always your medium of choice? I haven't really found a favourite yet, I tried coco coir but didn't like it as it didn't seem to hold moisture evenly throughout the bag.. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      In January I went to a Buddy Holly tribute at the Cape Cabaret in downtown Cape Coral. On the way in I noticed several apparently "dwarf" trunked Pseudophoenix sargentii shorter than I am planted near the side walk. Two of them had ripe seeds and had dropped many on the ground. On the way home I picked the remaining seeds and took photos. I posted those photos last month in the following topic:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/67082-pseudophoenx-sargentii-dwarfs-cape-coral-fl/&tab=comments#comment-974787
      I questioned whether these palms were actually dwarfed like Areca catechus. Consensus was that they had been kept in pots for many years before they were planted, which resulted in their current appearance, i.e., there are no genetic dwarf P. sargentii. So you should not expect offspring of these seeds to replicate their parents if they are raised normally. 
      In addition you can read a write-up on this species in the Palmpedia link below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Pseudophoenix_sargentii
      I have several hundred seeds of these palms for sale as follows:
      Pseudophoenix sargentii from Cape Cabaret: 50 seeds @ $10.00 for the Lot
      Shipping: $5.00 up to 150 seeds.   No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      A couple photos from my previous topic

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have approx. 400-500 Coccothrinax inaguensis seeds from my mother palm in Cape Coral. This is a rare species confined to a few islands in the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos. It is hardy to zones 10/11. Read about it in the Palmpedia link below:
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Coccothrinax_inaguensis
      The article contains a photo of my palm after it was planted as a 3g. See summary below:
      Coccothrinax inaguensis seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot
                                                           100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $6.00     via 1st class mail. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal. PM me if you are interested
      Photos
      Seeds

Mother Palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Do Cycas seeds sink or float when viable?
      I have about 8 Cycas siamensis Dwarf seeds that I've tried to germinate for almost a year. They haven't done anything but sit there. Today I took them out of their pot - they still seemed to have some heft - and put them in a tub of water. Right now they are all floating but I am giving them overnight to hydrate. If they are no good I'll compost them.
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      I was curious how long it takes to sprout Dypsis prestoniana seeds using the baggy method.  I did the float test, cleaned a bunch of sinkers, used a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to give them a final cleaning and then put them in baggies with some moist sphagnum moss I have for mounting orchids.  I'm sure someone can weigh in regarding their experience and timeline on sprouting this species.  I started those baggies on 12/1/2020.  This evening I did the same with about 50 Dypsis heteromorpha seeds so would be curious about others experience on timeline and yield for them as well.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For sale is the total crop of seeds of an unknown dwarf Sabal minor. I germinated this palm around 2008 from a seed sent to me by a PTer I can no longer recall. Where he got it I don't know but he sent it to me as Sabal etonia. I learned years later it is actually S. minor. That makes sense to me because actual Sabal etonias never survived for me. I planted it in my Caribbean Garden in 2009. During the 12 years I have had it, it has grown painfully slowly to its current size of 2' tall x 3-4' wide. I has flowered for years but produces crops of sometimes fewer than 100 seeds. This year's seed output is <200 seeds. It is a compact grower and should be cold hardy as any other Sabal minor.
      180+ Sabal minor unknown dwarf seeds = $15.00  ONE LOT ONLY
      Shipping = $5.00 in padded envelope. No shipping outside the US; no shipping to HI
      TOTAL = $20.00
      Payment via Paypal
      Photos
      Sabal minor unknown dwarf