IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Overwatered?

Pashgon

I have had this lady palm for over a year now and then all of a sudden it started looking terrible. I was suspicious it was overwatered so I repotted it, the bottom dirt was extremely soggy which seems to confirm my suspicions. I repotted with a cactus mix and added vermiculite and perlite, and trimmed most of the dead/really poor looking fronds. But now it’s so sad looking! I left some of the rougher stuff on just because I couldn’t bare to cut it down that much. Have I done the right things? Does it just need time? This palm is very special to me and I want it looking happy again!

Hi Pashgon, welcome to the forum. 

It sounds like you have done the right thing to me, including not cutting off too much. As a palm dies back it recycles some nutrients back to new leaves, they should only be cut off when brown. And as our friend said a pic would help. It also helps if you put your location in your details, locals are often of the most help.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.