Sign in to follow this  
PalmX

Did Christmas lights kill my Christmas Palm?

PalmX

Had some good results with wrapping trunks of some outdoor palms in lights during the chilly nights, so I decided to give it a try on an Adonida that I brought in side. I started seeing good growth with the lights + an LED panel for supplemental light but then...

I found out tonight that the trunk has shrunken in on itself. 

Is this at all reversible or is this palm doomed? :(

u8OANbF.thumb.jpg.5643758d1c486ddeed1ac474ab270980.jpg

aztropic

It's done... Enjoy it while you can.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

DCA_Palm_Fan
1 hour ago, PalmX said:

Had some good results with wrapping trunks of some outdoor palms in lights during the chilly nights, so I decided to give it a try on an Adonida that I brought in side. I started seeing good growth with the lights + an LED panel for supplemental light but then...

I found out tonight that the trunk has shrunken in on itself. 

Is this at all reversible or is this palm doomed? :(

u8OANbF.thumb.jpg.5643758d1c486ddeed1ac474ab270980.jpg

were they incandescent Xmas lights?  the old kind that get hot?   Also, you had it indoors when you had the lights on the trunk?   What does the top look like?     Sadly, that trunk looks like its toast.   If it got hot from the lights I would bet that is what did it.    

PalmX
6 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

were they incandescent Xmas lights?  the old kind that get hot?   Also, you had it indoors when you had the lights on the trunk?   What does the top look like?     Sadly, that trunk looks like its toast.   If it got hot from the lights I would bet that is what did it.    

Yeah, they were the incandescents.  I was hoping it would mimic hot weather. 

DCA_Palm_Fan
12 minutes ago, PalmX said:

Yeah, they were the incandescents.  I was hoping it would mimic hot weather. 

Yeah that probably is what did it in. I killed a Windmill Palm when I lived back up north in DC with those.  I had it wrapped in very lose plastic as the night time lows were around 10 F.  The next day it hit 36F and we had sun. I forgot the lights were on until it was too late. It felt super hot inside the plastic.  The palm was dead in a week.   oh well, lesson learned.   

Fusca
45 minutes ago, PalmX said:

Yeah, they were the incandescents.

I wrapped up a juvenile Copernicia alba with incandescent Christmas lights prior to hitting 20° F in Jan 2018.  I didn't realize how hot those lights would get - my first and only time using them!  All the leaves, new spear and majority of the stem were fried from the heat.  In Feb I decided to perform surgery and cut down nearly to the ground until I saw green.  A few weeks later I started to see movement.  Here is the palm in 2017.

rsz_copernicia_alba.thumb.jpg.9ac79148f98d693e527b09c652ee2235.jpg

And here is the same palm in Mar 2018.

rsz_2001.jpg.e5dadb57a1c20b55c735ca838061638d.jpg

And here is the same palm in 2020 - about 6' overall height.  Not sure how your palm would handle it with it being in a pot but it wouldn't hurt to try.

1598335337_rsz_C_alba.thumb.jpg.227c4d4a5d04bd3c6c7c60088f5464b9.jpg

• Upvote 1

DCA_Palm_Fan
10 hours ago, Fusca said:

I wrapped up a juvenile Copernicia alba with incandescent Christmas lights prior to hitting 20° F in Jan 2018.  I didn't realize how hot those lights would get - my first and only time using them!  All the leaves, new spear and majority of the stem were fried from the heat.  In Feb I decided to perform surgery and cut down nearly to the ground until I saw green.  A few weeks later I started to see movement.  Here is the palm in 2017.

rsz_copernicia_alba.thumb.jpg.9ac79148f98d693e527b09c652ee2235.jpg

And here is the same palm in Mar 2018.

rsz_2001.jpg.e5dadb57a1c20b55c735ca838061638d.jpg

And here is the same palm in 2020 - about 6' overall height.  Not sure how your palm would handle it with it being in a pot but it wouldn't hurt to try.

1598335337_rsz_C_alba.thumb.jpg.227c4d4a5d04bd3c6c7c60088f5464b9.jpg

That is a pretty stunning recovery!  I bet if I had done the same with my windmill I may have had similar results.     I think for his Christmas palm that the damage is too far down on the trunk for that though, well past any part of the growing point.    I think its best for him to wait it out and see what happens but it doesn't look good. 

PalmX
16 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

That is a pretty stunning recovery!  I bet if I had done the same with my windmill I may have had similar results.     I think for his Christmas palm that the damage is too far down on the trunk for that though, well past any part of the growing point.    I think its best for him to wait it out and see what happens but it doesn't look good. 

Yeah you can't cut a crownshaft down like  that.

If it goes to a point of no return, what do you think will start to happen to the palm next (spear pull, trunk collapsing, dead fronds?)

The top of the palm looks fine, and it still has a decent spear growing.

Edited by PalmX

DCA_Palm_Fan
Just now, PalmX said:

What do you ultimately think will happen to the palm? Can the trunk not beef back out?

The top of the palm looks fine, and it still has a decent spear growing.

Usually damage to palm trunks is permanent.  They cannot "regenerate* like regular dicot type trees.  Every injury they sustain, while not fatal, will always be there.   Id just keep the palm and treat it as normal and see what happens.  I suppose its possible that the interior of the trunk did not get damaged much and it will be fun but just look funny at that part.   If you don't see any changes in the crown over the next few weeks then you may be out of the woods and it may survive just fine.   I cant speak to weather or not the area of the trunk that got damaged is in a physically weakened state though.  If you feel it is but the tree is fine you could always stake it.   I hope it lives for you! 

Fusca
1 hour ago, PalmX said:

Oops, I missed that it was an Adonidia.  Well at least I showed that some palms can recover from a Christmas lights attack!  :P

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1