IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mislabeled Chamaedorea Elegans

Palmfarmer

I Bought what was advertised as a chamaedorea elegans. In my experience they burn here in the highland deserts even in slight indirect sunlight, I figuer i Plant it outside in a spot with shade so i planted it under my Bananas having the leafs of the Banana shading it all day. However many of the Bananaleafs died and it is now getting a ton of indirect sunlight and some direct as well for a month without any burns at all. Maybe it is a elegans crossed with a more sun tolerant Chamedorea? 

Here is a Pic for ID: 

IMG_20201028_090227221.jpg

IMG_20201028_090233006.jpg

These are C. Elegans.    Can you post a side few pic with the trunk / leaf bases?   The leaves alone though scream C. Elegans. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

These are C. Elegans.    Can you post a side few pic with the trunk / leaf bases?   The leaves alone though scream C. Elegans. 

Maybe some kind of very gradual exposure has made in more hardy against sunlight? I dont think that is the reason with the sunlight since i have had them burn in the winter as well. I have heard there is like 2 "strains" of Elegans and one can tolerate sunlight better, maybe that is this version?

9 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Maybe some kind of very gradual exposure has made in more hardy against sunlight? I dont think that is the reason with the sunlight since i have had them burn in the winter as well. I have heard there is like 2 "strains" of Elegans and one can tolerate sunlight better, maybe that is this version?

I am not sure about two strains, but I can tall you that I have one that is now 14 or so years old and it is rather tall. I have out outdoors on a west facing patio and it does get a good but of sun in the afternoons,  I slowly aclimated it to that area, but it  did get some slight burn, but now it seems to do just fine in that spot.   They can take some sun with a slow acclimation period I have found, but I would not subject it to full on all day sun with no shade at all.    Yours definitely looks like C. Elegans to me. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

I am not sure about two strains, but I can tall you that I have one that is now 14 or so years old and it is rather tall. I have out outdoors on a west facing patio and it does get a good but of sun in the afternoons,  I slowly aclimated it to that area, but it  did get some slight burn, but now it seems to do just fine in that spot.   They can take some sun with a slow acclimation period I have found, but I would not subject it to full on all day sun with no shade at all.    Yours definitely looks like C. Elegans to me. 

wow 14 years. I love the Chamadoreas Even though they are really common they are really beatiful.

You got a before and after planting photos to see how much it has grown? 

What is your experience when it comes to Cold Hardiness with Elgans. it says 26f on the forum somewhere, but i like to hear you experience. 

28 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

wow 14 years. I love the Chamadoreas Even though they are really common they are really beatiful.

What is your experience when it comes to Cold Hardiness with Elgans. it says 26f on the forum somewhere, but i like to hear you experience. 

Let me see if I can find the post with the Before and after.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

See this post.   It was even smaller when I got it.  It shot up in a year, then slowed down again, then kind of leveled off at a moderate growth rate. Ill try to take a new photo of it tomorrow during the day and post it here. Its substantially taller now.    The before / after pics are down near the bottom of the thread.   Youll be able to see it no problem im sure.   enjoy! 

I have C. elegans (about 4 feet tall) in a clump that gets several hours of direct sun during the late spring and summer and, other than fading to a lighter shade of green, it handles that amount of full sun quite well. This isn’t the desert however. 

794DDFFE-3D5D-43BD-96B2-F9C25ABAD3D3.thumb.png.4c8584776227ad41ac5dbf307a84c339.png

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

4 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I have C. elegans (about 4 feet tall) in a clump that gets several hours of direct sun during the late spring and summer and, other than fading to a lighter shade of green, it handles that amount of full sun quite well. This isn’t the desert however. 

794DDFFE-3D5D-43BD-96B2-F9C25ABAD3D3.thumb.png.4c8584776227ad41ac5dbf307a84c339.png

That is cool! I like to hear this is possible. 

My C.Elegans is planted right under the bananas so it gets planty of water and it gets pretty moist under the bananas as some of the water evaporat and the leafs overhead trap the humidity for some time. Maybe just a ton more water is the key here i will try that with a another spare clump i have. 

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Upvote 1