Frond-friend42

Shipping palms in winter?

Frond-friend42

I live in Salt Lake where temps at night are into 30s and 40s sometimes lower. 

I'm thinking that shipping out from here might kill or severely damage tropical species en route.

Anyone have experiences to confirm or refute?

Thanks,

Ben

Allen

You don't want to ship a palm in/thru temps that it can't handle.  While you may get away with it, you can't control where the package is kept in-route.  Generally nursery people won't ship out when the temps are not ok ie too hot/cold.

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

Frond-friend42
9 minutes ago, Allen said:

You don't want to ship a palm in/thru temps that it can't handle.  While you may get away with it, you can't control where the package is kept in-route.  Generally nursery people won't ship out when the temps are not ok ie too hot/cold.

Thanks for the advice.:greenthumb:

Palm Tree Jim

I believe that most nurseries would not ship to you at this time for tropical plants.

The best plan is to wait until Spring.

JubaeaMan138

Bare root in winter is certain death I’m actually surprised I just received some pretty tender stuff last week and usually if they are going to die they usually do with in the first 3 to 4 days. My stuff is good but I timed it just right with the heat wave I just had so it worked out . Shipping palms is a crap shoot no matter what your weather is depending on species . I usually have 100 percent success if they are small enough to ship in there containers but that is usually pricey on shipping but worth it as well