IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cutting the cord in an urban environment

thallo

It’s a small success but thought I would share in case anyone faces the same problem. I live in San Francisco and have a very small amount of space for my palm and succulent collection. The city ran out of money before they could underground utilities on my street. We have a WEB of utility wires spanning from the sidewalk to our home. One cord was directly over my largest garden space. I had resigned myself to planting palms under it in a way they could grow up and around. But last week we got our first small dose of rain and the transformer on the pole down the street exploded and started a fire on the utility pole. That got me thinking of how we could reduce wires. 

I haven’t had a landline anywhere I’ve lived since 2001. We’ve been in this place for two years without a landline. I looked closely and it was an AT&T box. I found some helpful threads online that explained how to call the repair line ... I did that last a Friday and requested the line be removed. They came at 7:45am today (the following Monday) and cut it down and removed the box from my siding!

You don’t need an active landline to have the wire removed.  You just have to get past the att telephone robot/AI and directed to the repair team. I had to choose the option to report a line down to get the repair staff on the phone and then made my request.

I didn’t have to pay anything for this removal  

I know some people need a landline ... just throwing this info out to anyone with small spaces further restricted by utility lines!

My new Beccariophoenix alfredii can now grow up into a huge, open overhead space!

Happy growing!

Trey

PS - sorry for the dirty window shots. One tenth inch of rain doesn’t do much to clean away  7 dry months of pollution and wildfire ash!

4806F3A3-5BA1-4759-8C91-8AADCDB5535D.jpeg

2A7553DB-40CD-48D7-9AF3-B54F57241A7D.jpeg

F429E17C-1244-4D86-8D7A-92746CC156F5.jpeg

EF6EFB38-CEEF-48B1-9B85-A9B813702C93.jpeg

Edited by thallo
  • Like 7

Wish I could get rid of all the wires connecting to my house! Ugly...

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I think this is a great idea. Eliminate the unnecessary clutter which isn’t being used anymore and is unlikely to be needed in the future. I went through a difficult process of removing old underground cable and phone lines which were severed and replaced with new. Of course they never pulled out the old lines and it seemed like whenever and wherever I would dig, I would hit one of these. I put the good cable line in a PVC conduit since that is all we use now. Weirdly enough, the phone line had not been disconnected at the service entrance but had been cut underground by the phone company sometime after we ended service.

• Upvote 1

After 53 years w/the land line and same number the wife and I decided to save about $350 a year by using only our cell phones.  Nothing to do w/palm but a good excuse to spend some of that money on m ore palms and her to spend it on quilting projects.  LOL

• Upvote 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL