IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Two Surprises today

Cindy Adair

I have been busy trying to eradicate as much of the horrible vine, pica pica (Mucuna pruriens) from my land as possible. This afternoon I called it quits for today and went for a stroll. Two surprises greeted me.

The first was on my largest Licuala mattanensis 'mapu'. I almost missed it.

DSCN1627.thumb.JPG.86280b75b5331c05b9f34c2272d8b0e2.JPG

DSCN1629.thumb.jpg.f7320705da479ff935c044f107d61966.jpg

Then I looked more closely at my only Licuala sallehana.

DSCN1637.thumb.jpg.4b1d887b8e300771942cb3cf75048a70.jpg

DSCN1639.thumb.jpg.ebcf9f9613c4b8d8e918e8ee922ed741.jpg

• Like 24
  • Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

I'll throw in a few more photos from the same walk for good measure. All in the ground post hurricane Maria so less than three years ago. In the tropics plants grow fast.

The palms are Licuala cordata, Calyptrocalyx laxiflorus and Chamaedorea geonomiformis.

DSCN1633.jpg

DSCN1634.jpg

DSCN1635.jpg

DSCN1647.jpg

DSCN1648.jpg

DSCN1653.jpg

DSCN1655.jpg

• Like 18
  • Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

15 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

DSCN1633.jpg

Leaflets and flowers look like a Masdevallia.  Is it a native or something you mounted on this tree?

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hi Tracy! That’s a Specklinia (pleurothallis) picta that I bought from an orchid collector in 2011.

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Wow!  Someone is doing something right.  Well done!

BTW, is that a cordata or did you take your pinking shears to some hapless Sabal?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

On 11/16/2020 at 3:35 PM, John hovancsek said:

More, more. .please..

Thanks. After watching the recent IPS webinar on palms of New Guinea I am beginning a list of what I have from there. 

On 11/16/2020 at 6:36 PM, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Wow!  Someone is doing something right.  Well done!

BTW, is that a cordata or did you take your pinking shears to some hapless Sabal?

Thanks! Funny. I have great hopes for the 2 tiny seedling cordatas in my new shade house. The one pictured is my only one of any size. I did read recently a detailed description of using pinking shears to more realistically trim the leaves of a gesneriad in preparation for judging. Apparently this is legal by show rules.

Cindy Adair

Thanks DCA Palm Fan.

Off topic chatter:

Aroids seem quite popular at the moment and I know there are many of us who use them as palm accents.

I am glad I grabbed some before the big price increases. 

Gesneriads are cheaper and grow like crazy here too. I use whatever makes sense in areas where ferns are not enough to fight with invasive vines and grasses.

I also love calatheas!

482707F5-2E85-4C85-B137-5BEC681D0EE2.thumb.jpeg.51161bcf58c7e9bab59ab816877b5473.jpeg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

So gorgeous! Posts like this have me just ITCHING to get a house I actually own so I can start getting most of these palms out of their pots and into the dirt! 

Very inspiring. :) 

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

• 2 weeks later...

wonderful collection and how beautiful they grow when you can actually leave them alone for a while in such a perfect habitat. You are lucky.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:31 AM, redant said:

Maybe you could have a side business sell the beans.. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3942911/  

Thanks for the link! When I was trying to find information about how to eradicate this painful pest all I really found were articles praising it.

I would require big bucks to collect the seeds, as when they are ripe is when the pods are the most dangerous.

I am sure some vines will escape me and anyone interested in collecting them (and crazy/masochistic enough to do it) is welcome to any on my farm.

Cindy Adair

Thanks so much for all the kind comments!

I don’t regret my leap into the tropics with space to grow anything I want and living expenses so low.

Don’t rule out western PR if you are wanting your own palm paradise.

• Like 2

Cindy Adair