IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What type of Archonto are these?

chad2468emr

I swung by Uncle Jutty’s today and they had an Archonto triplet for sale that I’d noticed a few months ago. I’m pretty sure they’re stunted just by looking at them, but also because they had seriously outgrown their pot to the point their upper roots weren’t even covered anymore and there was a huge mass of roots under the pot. I’ve since hosed off a good bit of the old soil they had on the roots, pruned off some less-than-stellar-looking fronds, and planted in a 2:1:1 mix of pine bark, MG palm soil, and perlite in a 25 G pot. I actually cut off the smallest of the triplet too because it was SERIOUSLY stunted and I figured the two remaining would do much better without a third to compete with. (It still hurt my soul greatly to saw through that little guy, haha) 

Any idea what kind of Archonto these are? I assume they’re a regular ol cunninghamiana. They had them labeled as a Christmas palm when I saw them a few months ago which made me chuckle, and the woman who helped me wasn’t sure what kind they were. I figure maybe I lucked out and got something different, but I’m terrible at ID’ing these guys when they’re this size. 

81AAE366-6818-4EBA-8764-702877A9C175.thumb.jpeg.0a67e724d6740c4c95163da5f9296521.jpeg

Edited by chad2468emr

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

Whoops! Seeing I posted this in “palms in pots” but I meant to post in the worldwide section. Well, they are in a pot though, so I guess I’m not that far off topic. :) 

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

27 minutes ago, chad2468emr said:

I swung by Uncle Jutty’s today and they had an Archonto triplet for sale that I’d noticed a few months ago. I’m pretty sure they’re stunted just by looking at them, but also because they had seriously outgrown their pot to the point their upper roots weren’t even covered anymore and there was a huge mass of roots under the pot. I’ve since hosed off a good bit of the old soil they had on the roots, pruned off some less-than-stellar-looking fronds, and planted in a 2:1:1 mix of pine bark, MG palm soil, and perlite in a 25 G pot. I actually cut off the smallest of the triplet too because it was SERIOUSLY stunted and I figured the two remaining would do much better without a third to compete with. (It still hurt my soul greatly to saw through that little guy, haha) 

Any idea what kind of Archonto these are? I assume they’re a regular ol cunninghamiana. They had them labeled as a Christmas palm when I saw them a few months ago which made me chuckle, and the woman who helped me wasn’t sure what kind they were. I figure maybe I lucked out and got something different, but I’m terrible at ID’ing these guys when they’re this size.

If the underside of the leaflets is green instead of silver, it's probably cunninghamiana.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

10 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

If the underside of the leaflets is green instead of silver, it's probably cunninghamiana.

Does this count as silver? They’re certainly “powdery” looking, and I know the flash likely makes it look more dramatic, but let me know what you think. 

25BB4360-CAF9-4C06-B4A4-7FCB570402CB.thumb.jpeg.9bdf48df17e9422d8c21c5f72deeb11b.jpeg

A3D68481-6855-42F6-9FBF-3BEC28AF6E23.thumb.jpeg.9e507c0aa5133a400835a099f3de9191.jpeg

Looks like some silver to me.  Others will have to weight in on the exact ID.  The other species in that genus tend to have the silver undersides.  Probably an alexandrae, just based on probability, but no guarantee just based on silver undersides alone.

http://idtools.org/id/palms/palmid/factsheet.php?name=Archontophoenix+cunninghamiana

http://idtools.org/id/palms/palmid/factsheet.php?name=Archontophoenix+alexandrae

A great comparison of all 6 species:

https://www.junglemusic.net/King_Palm.html

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

8 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Looks like some silver to me.  Others will have to weight in on the exact ID.  The other species in that genus tend to have the silver undersides.  Probably an alexandrae, just based on probability, but no guarantee just based on silver undersides alone.

http://idtools.org/id/palms/palmid/factsheet.php?name=Archontophoenix+cunninghamiana

http://idtools.org/id/palms/palmid/factsheet.php?name=Archontophoenix+alexandrae

A great comparison of all 6 species:

https://www.junglemusic.net/King_Palm.html

Those are some SERIOUSLY useful links! 

Overall, the lack of ramenta (I can’t find a single one, versus my cunninghamiana and purpurea which are covered with them on the undersides) has me thinking this is likely alexandrae.

I’ll wait to see what everyone else thinks before I get TOO excited but... neat! :D

Edited by chad2468emr

Definitely not cunninghamiana, probably alexandrae. 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.