Sign in to follow this  
DoomsDave

4 sale mo’ Archie tuckeri

DoomsDave

I did an ad a few months ago and thanks to the parade of wonderfully nutty Palm Talkers who came, saw and purchased!

Over a long hot summer, under my devoted COVID Captivity Devoted Palm CareTM, a new batch kinda exploded to size.

I’ve got about 20 for $25 apiece; the specimen pictured below is average some are bigger and fatter.

Great gift to give a budding palm nut!

E83D96C8-329A-43E3-BF79-BBCBB3F0A823.thumb.jpeg.edc0b502373a41aaa6d5352e2b95e4cd.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave

Come and get!

I'll be around on Black Friday . . . .

Reyes Vargas

Wish I could but you are a tad to far from me.

Chris Chance

Once again good deal Dave! Definitely a no go here since it's even difficult to grow cuninghamiana here.

Ben in Norcal
22 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Once again good deal Dave! Definitely a no go here since it's even difficult to grow cuninghamiana here.

Surprising - too cold?

Chris Chance

Yeah and too hot in the summer. Only way to grow here is under good canopy so it wouldn't be canopy like Dave has.

Ben in Norcal
18 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Yeah and too hot in the summer. Only way to grow here is under good canopy so it wouldn't be canopy like Dave has.

Keep in mind that A. cunninghamiana is the worst species in heat/sun, bar purpurea.  All other Archontophoenix (alaxandre, maxima, tuckerii, myolensis) do better in my extreme heat and sun than does cunninghamiana.

Chris Chance
1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Keep in mind that A. cunninghamiana is the worst species in heat/sun, bar purpurea.  All other Archontophoenix (alaxandre, maxima, tuckerii, myolensis) do better in my extreme heat and sun than does cunninghamiana.

Yeah I can see that for sure! I just don't think the others take frost as well. I had myolensis that I ripped out because it always looked terrible and maxima died the first year I was here from frost. I thought about trying purpurea but they're hard to find. 

• Like 1

DoomsDave

Chris if slapsie maxies croak for you, I'd say they're all too tender.

We had the same problem back in the mid-1980s with Ken's DIY center (where I was nursery manager); everyone wanted kings, and we had to advise that they wouldn't make it in many places, except on high slopes.

Chris Chance
1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Chris if slapsie maxies croak for you, I'd say they're all too tender.

We had the same problem back in the mid-1980s with Ken's DIY center (where I was nursery manager); everyone wanted kings, and we had to advise that they wouldn't make it in many places, except on high slopes.

Yeah I definitely understand. I do have a couple cunninghamiana here and they don't look horrible. I just don't think they'll ever make it as a canopy palm. It was the same way when I lived in Murrieta. Kings just don't do as well there with heat and cold they get. I definitely love the look of tuckerii but the only chance is if they grow under a queen.