IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Good palms to winter indoors in Southeast US

SunnySoCal

Hey guys, newbie here! Fairly new to plant care in general, but love vines, hardy plants, and tropicals. 

Looking for some medium-sized palms for the deck in the summer which I can winter indoors. In my area it’s quite easy to find smaller, shrublike ones as houseplants, but the only bigger ones readily available are Ladies and Dwarf Cavendish Bananas. I am interested in these species but would also really like a Christmas palm, a double or triple Baby Queen,  and maybe a Montgomery or Solitarie palm. (Had a local nursery check into ordering these for me, but they could only find the Christmas palm). 

So I guess my question is a bit of a double-barreled one. But I’m wondering,
1. If anyone has recommendations for the best places to obtain species like this. Been checking out landscaping and tropical plant sites, but prices are all over the place, and I'm curious who delivers healthy plants for reasonable rates.    
2. If anyone has suggestions on better indoor/outdoor palms that suit my climate (sunny, hot, and humid in the summer, but generally overcast in the winter). For suggestions on different palms, I’m looking for ones that meet the following guidelines:

-Preferably medium-sized, though 1 or 2 which will eventually outgrow my space would be ok

-Sun and humidity-loving to match my summer climate, and because my deck doesn’t get much shade. 

-Self-cleaning or easily pruned, and with a non-fiborous trunk (so there’s less cleanup and fewer places for pests to hide)

-The hardier the better, as I am fairly new to plant care. I’m ok if it needs a humidifier, grow light, and treating for pests during the indoor season, but any higher maintenance than that and I’d probably kill it- lol! 

Thanks so much for any advice!

(**Note: To anyone who was wondering, my display name is kind of a misnomer; I was born in SoCal, but live in the southeast. I think my love for tropicals is genetic, hah!) 

0.thumb.jpeg.5fec10f5748a1a3aef30e95ee0c83539.jpeg

0-1.jpeg