IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Curious trunk damage, comments ?

Darold Petty

I was asked to examine a queen palm, Syagrus romanzoffianum, here in San Francico.   The palm is quite heavy bodied and robust, even thought the homeowner does not irrigate the palm.  It is about 16 inches in diameter at 12 feet above ground, and the swollen base is about 24 inches with plenty of adventitious roots showing above the surface.   Clearly there must be ample soil moisture as SF gets only about 22  inches of rainfall in a 5 month period.

As shown the palm has a 'Vee'  shaped cavity in the surface, all the way around the trunk circumference.  At first I had thought that this was an ignorant attempt to girdle the palm, but it is high above ground, and part of the cavity is still concealed behind older leafbases.  This damage is about 1.5 inches deep and 1.5 inches wide from top to bottom.  The homeowner was concerned that the crown might be vulnerable to complete breakoff during high wind events.  Based on the original 16 inch diameter I have calculated that this palm still has about 83% of the diameter area intact.

Based on this 83% intact trunk area and palms well-known wind resistance I assured the homowner that the palm was not in danger of crown failure.  

Do you agree with this conclusion ??  And what might have caused such a unique pattern of  damage ??  Thanks ! :)

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

San Francisco, California

Odd.  Almost looks like something was tied around the palm?

I agree it should be fine at any rate!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I’ve never seen anything like it. Can the owner remember if it put out a funky leaf or two a few years back when that section would have been part of the growing bud. It looks too uniform to be natural but if it was under a leaf base it must be natural. I’m thinking a fungal attack to the growing bud a few years back. As far as strength left in the trunk I think it will be fine. Even when cutting one down the trunk holds on until the last few centimetres before it finally breaks. It looks like in the groove the trunk has completely formed with that outer capping so that’s good. Real weird.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.