IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PHOENIX THEOPHRASTII

alex_7b

Does anyone grow PHOENIX THEOPHRASTII? Any idea how cold-hardy it is?

Los Niños y Los Borrachos siempre dicen la verdad.

Alex,

I grow it.  We haven't had any significant test of its cold hardiness, but I have read that it is as hardy as, or perhaps slightly hardier than, P. dactylifera.  It will probably survive 15 deg. F and maybe a bit better than that.  It apparently clusters at some point, once so established may be quite a bit hardier.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Dear Friends  :)

do you have any stills of this palm ? i will love to see it !

thanks & Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I once owned a container Phoenix theophrastii, a 5 or 10 gal size.  It was so grossly ugly and filled with spines that I gave it away. There is a fairly good sized speciman growing at the U.C. Berkeley Botanical Gardens. It's not something I would want growing in my garden, rare or not. No one said God had to make all palms beautiful.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Mine is currently in a 5-gal. pot.  (It looks pretty much like any other Phoenix at this point.)

I have been debating about whether to keep it, as they take up a fair amount of space.  They're also pretty spiny as Dick notes.  

Not the best palm I have by a long shot, but I'm not sure I'm ready to part with it.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Theophrastii are tough as nails, and thornier than Rudy Guliani on a bad hair day.

They'll take temps, from what I've heard, down to about 15 F, or even lower.

THey're native to Crete and Turkey in the eastern Mediterranean.

Give them LOTS of room, almost like an edible date.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yes, I'd agree with Dick, this plant usually is really messy with lots of mean spines...

However, when cleaned up is actually quite attractive.  I took this picture some time ago at the Fullerton arboretum.  A cycad enthusiast friend who was with me at the time said it was the most beautiful palm he'd ever seen.

If you like the "blue" cycads, this thing is a palm version of them.

post-376-1185236491_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

...cold tolerance is similar to P dactylifera, which it is closely related to....somewhere in the 15- 16 F range.

post-376-1185236750_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Dear Kate & Dear Glenn  :)

thanks a lot for the stills,since i have a few saplings of these

sent to me my Max,but had no idea how beautiful it looks when it grows big !

the leaves look like dwarf phoenix,but the colour and texture looks like Macrozamia Moorie ?

thanks & Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Sorry, I am a late responder on this topic.  I have about 5 aroudn the yard here are a few pictures. A friend  collected the seeds at the monastery in Vai.

Theres a bit of variation. The only way to differentiate them from P. dactylifera is seed size.

post-562-1185330225_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

ed. could you explain the seed size to dact.? bigger smaller ?? whats the skinny on this?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Kew Bulletin "Revison of Phoenix" --Sasha Barrow tried to sort out classification of the various Phoenix.

They used seeds less than 2 cm to differentiate P. theophrasti from dactylifera in ( Crete) -- Feral P. dactylifera grows there also.

2-4 cm would be P. dactylifera -- I started looking at seeds in commercial dates and they are very long and torpedo like. . The seeds on my trees are much smaller and rounder

I recieved about 20 seeds and evary plant was different blue P. dactylifera like to green robust P. cariensis

But the seeds are small.

Best regards

Ed

this topic is becomming more and more interesting as days go by.since lots of visuals are commng in !

the visaul man is have a field trip.... :)

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I must admit, cleaned up and kept to one trunk, the blue forms are rather attractive. The one I had was green and started to sucker at an early age. The one at U.C. Berkley Bot. Gardens is also green and a mass of suckers.

I learned the hard way that P. dactilifera should have the suckers removed at an early stage. If not, they become a mass of trunks and spines and are almost impossible to trim.  I finally had to have my P. dactilifera removed because it had gotten out of control and was crowding out other plants and it also was growing to close to a path and was a hazard. Except for the smaller kinds of Phoenix, they look best to me as a "stand alone" palm.

In my climate, and given ample water, Phoenix grow like weeds, and it doesn't take long for that cute little palm to become a prickley monster.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 1 year later...

I have a few planted here in the yard. They seem to be much hardier than any of the other Phoenix species & have never had any burn. These are from small 1 gal pots three years in the ground now. They sucker like hell & I am always having to trim them. Great palms though.

cretan01zn6.jpg

cretan02pu6.jpg

• Upvote 1

IMHO The cold hardiness rating of 15F only applies if the palm is kept dry in the winter. I've had several in the ground for 3+ years. They get a little leaf burn each winter even when covered. My low last winter was 16F here in NC. I would say that 15 is 'pushing' it, esp. if left uncovered in a wet winter locale. The good thing about them is that they recover very quickly in the Spring and push out lots of leaves during the summer.

Here is one of mine photo taken earlier this year.

331125321_NWN4A-L.jpg

• Upvote 2

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Fantastic palms in the pictures...

I want too try this one also at onces, i have got only seedlings now so i must wait :)

Southwest

I am growing a couple of small ones, 1 gal size. Can't wait till they get bigger. Keeping them cleaned up will be a necessity... Here is a couple of pics (from Fairchild) for Kris. Jv

post-362-1217471607_thumb.jpg

post-362-1217471698_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Dear Friends :)

Here is a beautiful link !

P.Theophrastii

Here is a still of one of the three growing in our roof top garden,that palm sapling was sent to me by M@X a year ago..you can see how fast it has grown in our hot tropical climate.

post-108-1217483767_thumb.jpg

And my thanks to Cindy,Laaz & JV for those beautiful stills of this palm..

love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 5 months later...

there is a rumour that P. theophrastii is actualy rarely on the market and that most (larger/older) palms sold as P. theophrastii are in fact P. dactylifera. i dont know what is true about this rumour but P. theophrastii is a protected species(CITES) so seeds and definitely (larger) plants are not so easily obtained...

i grow some seedlings from the Turkish theophrasti (P. thoephrastii var Golkoy), these should grow in much wetter conditions ans see more cold during winter. sometimes this population is flooded during the winter! growth is slow though and it wil take a few years before it wil make some trunk....

Hi everybody

I shot some pictures of p. theoprastii in habitat in southern and eastern Crete:

Preveli

2477735701_b2117441f7_o.jpg

2477732217_6b9f6450f6_o.jpg

thorns

2478552304_28fd9fb161_o.jpg

oasis of Vai

2477761919_a74d493fa8_o.jpg

happy new year!!

Federico

• Upvote 2

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

there is a rumour that P. theophrastii is actualy rarely on the market and that most (larger/older) palms sold as P. theophrastii are in fact P. dactylifera. i dont know what is true about this rumour but P. theophrastii is a protected species(CITES) so seeds and definitely (larger) plants are not so easily obtained...

i grow some seedlings from the Turkish theophrasti (P. thoephrastii var Golkoy), these should grow in much wetter conditions ans see more cold during winter. sometimes this population is flooded during the winter! growth is slow though and it wil take a few years before it wil make some trunk....

Kristof - I'm not sure if I agree with much of that. P. theophrastii is in the IUCN Red List in the Lower Risk/near threatened category, but I'm fairly certain it is not a CITIES listed species, at least not here. Seeds were readily available from RPS earlier this year - in fact, they are still available. I'm not sure if and why they aren't easily available as mature plants.

post-1155-1230743031_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if and why they aren't easily available as mature plants.

Walk too close to a large one, and see . . . . :angry:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

Do I take it you'd be content to see fewer of them for sale? :lol:

Dave,

Do I take it you'd be content to see fewer of them for sale? :lol:

Well, no, not really. Sorry to be snarky . . . .

It's just that back in the day when I was in the business and I had a few large ones in 15-galon pots and garbage cans, and no one wanted to buy them, even if I offered to do bizarre things for their entertainment. On a more serious note, the chief complaint was about the spines, which, as the "theo-nasties'" regular handler I could, alas, readily appreciate.

That said, they're still cool, and I'd hate to see them mongrelized into the wilderness of Phoenix . . . .

That's a fair point, if you have to be the salesman for one of these, and I haven't seen a full grown one.....yet!

They don't look to bad to me or at least the one that I have. It seems armed and dangerous but from a distance it looks good.

David

Federico, great shots of the palm in it's native habitat! Hope you collected some seeds.... :) Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Nice visuals,gentlemen :)

but can any one really tell me how to I.D this palm if seen in some place,since i intend growing this palm sent to me by M@x.i have 3 fairly decent sized saplings and i must tell you that i have not seen any transport shock in this variety.it seem to be a touffie..

And dear dave i suppose all the phoenix are spiny and after getting poked by p.sylversteris while trimming iam now fairly accoustomed to this pain..they give. :huh:

Any new stills of this palm is always welcome in this thread... :drool:

Lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Federico, great shots of the palm in it's native habitat! Hope you collected some seeds.... :) Jv

I tried to collect seeds but thorns are really impressing ... it's better ask to RPS

bye

Federico

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

Hi all

Phoenix theophrastii is extremely hardy, found the only place in the world where the 2 varieties grow together which is in a deserted bay in turkey, they take 45c and -5c at least, Extreme salt laden winds growing on rocky rubble. Only can get there by boat, came upon the place by accident.

enjoy the photo's

regards

Colin

post-197-1230940251_thumb.jpg

post-197-1230940271_thumb.jpg

post-197-1230940295_thumb.jpg

post-197-1230940311_thumb.jpg

post-197-1230940342_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hey Colin, nice shots! BTW is that a fresh or salt water source in the photo??? Jv

Hi Jv

It is very salty water in the med, easy to float around in. This is not the native habitat, they were planted there by the phoneocians a couple of thousand years ago, the original source was the present day lebanon. this information was given to me by moviecan who lives on Rhodes, and by the way was great host when we visited him. When i said a deserted area and desolate, here is the bay, notice no roads, not much of anything.

regards

Colin

post-197-1230956061_thumb.jpg

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia