IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My trip to Southern California - from Santa Barbara to San Diego, from Clinostigma to Ptychococcus!

kylecawazafla

I was lucky enough to travel to Southern California a few weeks ago and visit some amazing palm gardens. I went to Pauline Sullivan's famous gardens in Ventura, CA, then wandered through Santa Barbara. Additionally, I got to travel to the Newport Beach Hyatt Regency, San Diego Zoo, and former Quail Botanic Gardens, now known as San Diego Botanic Gardens. The complete photo collection can be seen in the link below, and I included some highlights here! 

Clicker HERE for all of the photos

One of my favorite Braheas: Brahea moorei w/ glaucous leaves and silver undersides

Brahea moorei

Bismarckia are growing at Balboa Park

Bismarckia nobilis

Borassus flabellifer growing at the San Diego Zoo! This is my first time seeing one in Southern California

Borassus flabellifer

This scene reminded me of somewhere that receives more than 9 inches of annual rainfall

Caryota gigas and Cyathea

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

I'm always up for learning new things!

Ptychococcus paradoxus - a palm from the New Guinea highlands!

Ptychococcus paradoxus

Two versions of Chambeyronia macrocarpa, regular and hookeri

Chambeyronia macrocarpa var hookeri and regular macrocarpa

Foxtail Cluster

Wodyetia bifurcata

Two Dictyosperma album

Dictyosperma albuma

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

They're common, but I love them. Dypsis lutescens

Dypsis lutescens

Syagrus botryophora

Syagrus botryophora

A very healthy Veitchia arecina

Veitchia arecina

Clinostigma savoryanum

Clinostigma savoryanum

The only trunking Roystonea oleracea I know of in Southern California

Roystonea oleracea

Ravenea glauca

Ravenea glauca

A non-palm, but me with a Ficus macrophylla at the Amtrak Station in Santa Barbara

Ficus macrophylla

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

I had no idea Santa Barbara was home to so many astounding Jubaea chilensis!!!

Jubaea chilensis

Jubaea chilensis

As well as publicly planted Caryota gigas

Caryota gigas

Probably the most beautiful display of Howea forsterianas I have ever seen 

Howea forsteriana

Dypsis onilahensis 'upright' 

Dypsis onilahensis 'upright leaf' version and Trithrinax campestris

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Pauline Sullivan's amazing garden in Ventura with her famous Ceroxylon ventricosum and Dypsis decipiens pictured

Ceroxylon ventricosum

Linospadix monostachyos

Linospadix monostachyos

Bismarckia with a nice bend

Bismarckia nobilis

Licuala ramsayi in no hurry

Licuala ramsayi

Probably the coolest palm of the trip! A particularly ventricose Ceroxylon ventricosum 

Ceroxylon ventricosum

Jubaeopsis caffra

Jubaeopsis caffra

Hedyscepe canterburyana

Hedyscepe canterburyana

Pritchardia minor in a parking lot at Ventura College

Pritchardia minor

• Like 19
  • Upvote 1

Again you have me drooling!!! Those Jubaea's are absolutely monstrous centenarians. Older than at least Arizona for sure! And Pauleen's Ceroxylon is admirable. I think my greatest knack is for tall palms. Ha! :D

Hoo boy. I feel like I've just been treated to a scholarly expedition exactly to my liking.  Thank you. Very nice.

BTW, the pic with the onihalenses looks to have a big fat chamerops in it. Is it just me or is that an extra-beefy chamerops?

51 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Is it just me or is that an extra-beefy chamerops?

I would guess that palm to be a Trithrinax. 

San Francisco, California

Richnorm,  I have a particular interest in the genus Pritchardia, but it seems that most of the material in California is mis-labeled.

San Francisco, California

I loved these pics. So Cal is so tropical looking. I'm jealous.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

14 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I would guess that palm to be a Trithrinax. 

Yes, thanks Darold. Looks like trithrinax campestris. Thanks 

Beautiful!!

It seems anything can be grown in SC. 

Thank you for documenting your trip and for sharing with us!

best regards from Okinawa - 

Lars

Some of the best pictures I've seen on this forum Kyle. The ones of Dictyosperma and Syagrus botryophora looked like they were from the tropics. Regarding the Pritchardia, that's been posted a few times here with a lot of opinions. Don't think it's minor. Obviously this genus is variable, but if you asked me based on leaf shape, leaf underside color and fruit size, I'd say viscosa, grown in a less that perfect environment. The one at Floribunda (grown to perfection) is a spitting image, just bigger and more open, probably due to more water.  My neighbor has a martii that's very close looking, but the fruits are way bigger. Thanks again for posting..

• Like 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Thank you for the comments! That last Pritchardia seems to be mystery! That would be very cool if it is P. viscosa! 

great shots Kyle!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Fantastic trip and thanks for adding the pics!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Fantastic pics and trip!  So Cal looking very tropical in places.   I love it when someone does a photo dump on here (this was one of the best i've seen!) and it reminds of something on my wish list.    Ive wanted a Linospadix monostachyos for a long time, but never bothered with it when up north.  Im not sure that even now that I'm in Southern FL that they would do well here. It gets alot hotter than in their habitat.   That photo and the one of the Howea Forstoriana are my favorites I think, although I do love seeing those MASSIVE Jubaea Chilensis!    Thanks for sharing with us!