IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I just de-lidded Jubaeopsis caffra

CodyORB

58C9A5E8-F582-4682-A39F-EFFB780D5EF3.thumb.jpeg.400d40f7974fef9e0181eea93947911c.jpeg98983EB7-C419-4693-9C6A-9186027812D2.thumb.jpeg.7d08e8cb37681809b657d85c0b1617ea.jpeg

Yep I pulled it off! I was actually able to get most of the “lid” off with just my fingernail with a little help of a knife. These have been sitting in the germination chamber since August with 0 action, so I decided it was worth a try. I’ll “check” on them in 2 weeks or so. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update: unfortunately they all rotted. Sterile medium and fungicide weren’t good enough. Didn’t wash the seed with a bleach solution, maybe that was the issue. Not a huge deal, it was a stretch for these to make work!

Sorry to hear....That has happened to me every time I've tried that on Jubaea.  Now I just crack them open when they rattle and germinate the endosperm in sterile media.  Some of them will sprout in as little as two weeks, but usually about two to three months at room temperature.  The only ones that go moldy are the ones I suspect are bad to begin with.  I used to fight these seeds and since I started doing it this way, they are one of the easiest.

jubaea germination.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Looking nice! Is that a TC media? Agar?

If you are referring to my seeds, they were germinated in coco/perlite, but straight perlite works too.  The photo is of seeds that I rinsed in water after being removed from the Jiffy tray, just before I put them in a regular pot.  I use those compartmentalized germination trays with the loose fitting clear lid.  Airflow is important to minimize the chance of molding.  After they push their way out of the media, I pull them out, rinse them off and pot them up.  I usually wait until I have about a half dozen and then community pot them.  One other thing I have to add, I use room temperature only, no bottom heat.  Exactly the same as I do for Trachycarpus.

Edited by Fallen Munk
added more info
  • Like 2

Jubaeopsis are tough but unlike Jubaea require around 30C to germinate in my experience. I’ve succeeded with these by presoaking them well and putting them in a pot of perlite (excellent drainage) pushed halfway in and then a thick layer of moist spaghnum moss over the top and place the entire pot inside a plastic bag tied up at the top and placed on a shelf in a tin shed and basically forgotten. When they are ready they will pop. They are erratic. Some will come up in the first summer then the rest will do nothing. Let the non germinators dry out in winter a bit but not dry to a crisp. Come the next growing season, soak them again and hydrate them right up and moisten the spaghnum moss and some will pop again in the summer. They can take up to 3 years to germinate. Once germinated it gets tricky. You need incredible drainage or they will rot. Treat them like a cycad. Keep them in a warm bright place but water them when they look a bit dry. Give them a good watering to get the free draining medium moistened right up. Once they get bigger they get easier.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Jubaeopsis are tough but unlike Jubaea require around 30C to germinate in my experience. I’ve succeeded with these by presoaking them well and putting them in a pot of perlite (excellent drainage) pushed halfway in and then a thick layer of moist spaghnum moss over the top and place the entire pot inside a plastic bag tied up at the top and placed on a shelf in a tin shed and basically forgotten. When they are ready they will pop. They are erratic. Some will come up in the first summer then the rest will do nothing. Let the non germinators dry out in winter a bit but not dry to a crisp. Come the next growing season, soak them again and hydrate them right up and moisten the spaghnum moss and some will pop again in the summer. They can take up to 3 years to germinate. Once germinated it gets tricky. You need incredible drainage or they will rot. Treat them like a cycad. Keep them in a warm bright place but water them when they look a bit dry. Give them a good watering to get the free draining medium moistened right up. Once they get bigger they get easier.

Great advice on the “seasonal” variation and the mediums for seedlings. I was keeping them on a heating pad (should have specified originally). 

I would have given them more time before de-lidding, but I realized that while these palms are survivable in my climate (9a, around 22F average annual low) they would be heavily stunted due to constant defoliation, worsened by their almost laughable growth rate. Plus they would die without protection in a 2010 winter (17F).