IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Planting a Majesty or other waterloving palm on the edge of a river

Palmfarmer

I like to wild plant some palms around the area that are not common, however it never rains. but i was thinking if i took a Majesty and planted it right on the edge of a river so it will get wet feet so to speak.  Only challenge i can think of is the water in the river getting to cold in the winter and killing the palm.  What you guys think? My Climate is more or less like phoenix AZ, 9b.

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Upvote 1

I have seen this with Majesty palms here in the Orlando, FL area.  Majesty and King palms will grow right at the edge of lakes and be very happy.  The water temperature probably doesn't drop much below 70F, even in the middle of winter.  So I'm not sure how temperature of the water would affect your palm.  I guess if it were cold water running down from an icy mountain, that might be a problem.  I'm not sure, though, since it rarely gets cold enough here to change the water temp.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I saw a Ravenea rivularis planted just at the edge of a streambed in Hawaii.

Not only was it flourishing, but it was the largest I have ever seen, about the diameteter of a wine barrel.   :greenthumb:  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

23 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Only challenge i can think of is the water in the river getting to cold in the winter and killing the palm.  What you guys think? My Climate is more or less like phoenix AZ, 9b.

You ask an interesting question.  Majesties are fairly cold hardy though and probably wouldn't have issues there.  Even when air temps drop below freezing water temps remain much warmer.  I can't see river water negatively affecting palm roots unless air temps stayed below freezing for multiple days which doesn't happen where you are.  I'd try it.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 3

Jon Sunder

5 hours ago, Fusca said:

You ask an interesting question.  Majesties are fairly cold hardy though and probably wouldn't have issues there.  Even when air temps drop below freezing water temps remain much warmer.  I can't see river water negatively affecting palm roots unless air temps stayed below freezing for multiple days which doesn't happen where you are.  I'd try it.

That is awesome news i will plant some there once spring comes among other water palms and plant it looking as natural part of the terrain as possible so people dont steal it.

On 11/13/2020 at 2:37 AM, Palmfarmer said:

Are trachies fine getting wet feet like this as well? and how about robustas? 

I'm pretty sure the trachies will be fine with wet feet.  Have a look at what Banana Joe has been doing with his for years.  Trachycarpus swampsonia ... Salt Spring Island . Canada

Good luck with the guerrilla palm planting, ive been known to do this myself!  As you said though, hope nobody steals them!

Jake

11 hours ago, Makaisland Palms said:

I'm pretty sure the trachies will be fine with wet feet.  Have a look at what Banana Joe has been doing with his for years.  Trachycarpus swampsonia ... Salt Spring Island . Canada

Good luck with the guerrilla palm planting, ive been known to do this myself!  As you said though, hope nobody steals them!

Jake

thanks, yes i seen his Swampsonia palms haha. I will kind of hide them in with the natural folliage and in a spot that is kind of hard to reach.