IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

C. renda leaves browning.

PsyPalm

My Cyrtostachys renda has some browning on a few of it's larger leaves and I'm wondering if this is a sign of a larger problem. The soil is kept constantly moist and it's at a consistent temp of 65-78F and RH of 60%. It has an led grow light above it on a low setting to help with light as well as warmth through the winter. Thanks in advance!IMG_4120.thumb.JPG.dac45d73323e2087a3eda224db52aecc.JPG

• Upvote 1

Looks similar to how other palms manifest potassium and/or manganese deficiency. Have you been feeding it?

Tropical rainforests also typically have acidic soil. Have you tested your soil pH? If it is neutral or alkaline, Canadian sphagnum moss should help decrease it. This study by the NCBI shows average pH of the water and humus there can typically ranges between 3-6 between peat swamps and swamp forests, the consistently wet areas this palm is native to. There is a lot of fascinating research in there.

Edited by CodyORB
  • Like 3

This is fantastic info, thanks for the reply.  I'll add some sphagnum to the soil as well when I repot to make it more acidic, as well as start a more regular feeding schedule, but would you recommend not feeding it until spring when the growing season starts again?  Thanks :D

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PsyPalm said:

This is fantastic info, thanks for the reply.  I'll add some sphagnum to the soil as well when I repot to make it more acidic, as well as start a more regular feeding schedule, but would you recommend not feeding it until spring when the growing season starts again?  Thanks :D

If your home has constant temperature and lighting year-round it doesn't necessarily have a growing season. Owing to Seattle's darkness this time of year and the position near a window, I would probably hold off until maybe April anyways to start feeding it if the window generates decent warmth and light.

I don't grow C. renda, so everything I've written is what I've researched but not tested on my own. I will say, I had a dying potted blueberry plant that recovered a bit when I added a bunch of peat to the pot. They like slightly acidic soil.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 12:44 AM, PsyPalm said:

My Cyrtostachys renda has some browning on a few of it's larger leaves and I'm wondering if this is a sign of a larger problem. The soil is kept constantly moist and it's at a consistent temp of 65-78F and RH of 60%. It has an led grow light above it on a low setting to help with light as well as warmth through the winter. Thanks in advance!IMG_4120.thumb.JPG.dac45d73323e2087a3eda224db52aecc.JPG

I hope you don't mind: do you how old yours is? I might get a few of these myself one day (probably starting from seed). I've heard they're a snore as seedlings (no wonder they're like $50 :D)!

Edited by CodyORB

On 11/9/2020 at 12:44 AM, PsyPalm said:

Cyrtostachys will be almost impossible to keep alive indoors or outdoors in Seattle. Your house is too cold and dry for this uber tropical palm. It needs temps of 80-90F+ and humidity of 80-100% to survive. Raise the temp and humidity and you raise its odds of survival.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:51 PM, CodyORB said:

I hope you don't mind: do you how old yours is? I might get a few of these myself one day (probably starting from seed). I've heard they're a snore as seedlings (no wonder they're like $50 :D)!

I'm actually not sure it's exact age, but I've had this specimen since March.  I tried growing c. renda seeds last winter to no avail (8 months and no germination :/ ) and I ended up buying this one off ebay from a seller in Hawaii for $50.  It arrived with some severe shock (likely due to lower temperatures during shipping) and I trimmed back a lot of dead leaves.  But it recovered and has grown since then, albeit verrrry slowly.  From what I've read on here about their extremely slow growth as seedlings I would guess my plant is at least two years old.. (?)

Strangely it has been the most pest prone plant of my entire collection, I've battled multiple serious infestations of both scale and spider mites and have to give it a thorough checkup a few times each week.  I'm thinking the spider mites might be what is contributing to some of the browning on the leaves, the really brown one has had two mite colonies try to set up camp before I caught them.  But it's all good, I knew what I was getting into with this one:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First of all get her out of this self watering pot. She needs to sit in fresh moving water or refresh the water every 2 days in a deep saucer or use the same pot and fill it up with fresh water every other day. And for humidity put her up in the bathroom and sit her over the tub , put hot water with the shower in the tub to give her some nice humidity and heat. You can shower her with warm water as well. If you like challenges than do it every 2-3 days and at the same time change the water in the saucer. Because those palms literally sit in swamps. She is going to love it.
Mine is in the shade and gets  fresh water 3x a day and in the winter 1 time every second day and I refresh the water in the basin every 2 days.  She gets showers all the time. They are hard to grow  but you could make it happen once you know what she needs to be happy.. I have seen people making it happen. 
The cyrtostachys renda loves iron. So that’s something you should apply ,  get potassium and Epson salt (magnesium) for plants because she looks really deficient.( but it could be also the grow light) 
Those plants are not prone to pests at all only in the winter they can get fungus. Than she needs to be treated with mangozeb (Dithane). 
Those spiderwebs could be attracted to the environment she grows in and because she might be deficient. 
A good fertilizer is Palm Gain (Amazon), it’s a slow release. I would give it every 3 month and see how she does. 
Hope you make it happen. I grew mine from small seedlings 2 yrs ago, now she is 6ft tall. Of course yours won’t grow like mine but giving her what she needs you might safe her life and get her going.

Keep updating! 

6D1B2ABE-7D69-498C-8C2D-8824AB6B1085.jpeg

8C0B01D3-0707-4CC4-A13A-D0695364BB02.jpeg

86D15DCE-E935-4A19-A4FE-F2DD17FEF3E4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I have been growing mine indoors as well. It’s by a west facing window and I keep the soil moist. I am finding that the leaves are a bit pale recently. Looks healthy despite almost no growth since I’ve had it. I am concerned about the paleness. I water it with dirty water from my fishtank so I’m guessing it gets lots of nutrients and it’s a heated tank. I also recently repotted it in a peat moss, perlite, bark and compost mix. Hoping for the best

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 7:06 PM, JANAIY said:

First of all get her out of this self watering pot. She needs to sit in fresh moving water or refresh the water every 2 days in a deep saucer or use the same pot and fill it up with fresh water every other day. And for humidity put her up in the bathroom and sit her over the tub , put hot water with the shower in the tub to give her some nice humidity and heat. You can shower her with warm water as well. If you like challenges than do it every 2-3 days and at the same time change the water in the saucer. Because those palms literally sit in swamps. She is going to love it.
Mine is in the shade and gets  fresh water 3x a day and in the winter 1 time every second day and I refresh the water in the basin every 2 days.  She gets showers all the time. They are hard to grow  but you could make it happen once you know what she needs to be happy.. I have seen people making it happen. 
The cyrtostachys renda loves iron. So that’s something you should apply ,  get potassium and Epson salt (magnesium) for plants because she looks really deficient.( but it could be also the grow light) 
Those plants are not prone to pests at all only in the winter they can get fungus. Than she needs to be treated with mangozeb (Dithane). 
Those spiderwebs could be attracted to the environment she grows in and because she might be deficient. 
A good fertilizer is Palm Gain (Amazon), it’s a slow release. I would give it every 3 month and see how she does. 
Hope you make it happen. I grew mine from small seedlings 2 yrs ago, now she is 6ft tall. Of course yours won’t grow like mine but giving her what she needs you might safe her life and get her going.

Keep updating! 

6D1B2ABE-7D69-498C-8C2D-8824AB6B1085.jpeg

8C0B01D3-0707-4CC4-A13A-D0695364BB02.jpeg

86D15DCE-E935-4A19-A4FE-F2DD17FEF3E4.jpeg

Hey Janaiy! What type of medium is yours growing in?  I just switched mine from soil to a semi-hydroponic setup using pon.  I'm going to try and be vigilant about keeping it's water fresh and adding the right nutrients.  Fingers crossed..

Here she is repotted and set up in the new growing media.  (here's the stuff I used: tinyurl.com/y4zvtpxp )

Will keep you guys posted on progress, wish me luck!

IMG_9220.JPG

IMG_9219.JPG