Coryphagrowers

Talipot palms in Costa Rica

Coryphagrowers

Hola! My name is Paola and I live in Costa Rica.

Long story short...almost a year ago my partner and I got curious about some massive palms that had a huge flower on top, months later we saw that one of them was bearing fruits, so we started researching on the internet because it was not a common species found in our country, so we found out that these palms where possibly Talipot palms or Corypha umbraculifera, due to the characteristics that they had. Not so many people know about this here in our country, so this exclusive event of nature, ended up not being noticed, and the neighbors didn’t got too impressed either. We also read about the unique way in which they reproduce, so we felt that we had to honor this palm genetics, so we gathered a lot of seeds, and seedlings that where germinating under the dying palm mom. 
Since these palms are not native to Costa Rica, we wanted to understand a bit more of how they got here to the pacific coast of costa rica, so if someone has knowledge about this it would be interesting to know the history if these amazing palms.

Also, we are just nature and plant lovers, so we don’t have any experience on growing these type of palms, so we would appreciate if anyone has recommendations about light exposure, fertilizers, or any tips that you can give us, so we can get to have them healthy and growing in good conditions.
And since it is so hard to reproduce these beautiful palms, do you guys know if there is any conservation program for these species? Or if you think they can be transported to a specialized nursery or something like that?

Any comments would be appreciated.

I will attach some pictures, from the adult palms as well as the seedlings and young palms, I just feel they are magnificent and they need to be admired:

• Like 1

Coryphagrowers

Couldn’t upload the photos previously...so here they are:

D34C8A80-5068-4742-A64A-8B7F326F1DE5.jpeg

DD22676C-5652-47D9-BE57-74D65E6CC618.jpeg

37739147-382D-497B-84D5-D448D8A8C891.jpeg

24B57FF2-E8BC-4871-ABF6-7F4091FE2F15.jpeg

744D7002-9330-4529-8059-A0E5DBF7459A.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

kinzyjr

@Coryphagrowers A warm welcome to PalmTalk!  Don't know a whole lot about Corypha myself.  I do know that there are some growing in South Florida.  Hope a few of the others can chime in and give you more details about optimum care.

Coryphagrowers

Some seedlings and young palms, we are trying to sell them so if someone is interested we can talk :)

EAA1372A-C2B0-4D1A-8982-96191A903420.jpeg

4D4E1EFB-71AA-4339-99C6-AB915338CD7D.jpeg

87AA4278-F86F-452C-B2C1-730A72A3853E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

masatepino

Impressive palms!  I have never seen them here in Nicaragua, but of course in Costa Rica and Panama, and I got some seeds from San Pedro Sula, Honduras.   Half of the seeds germinated, but they grow very slowly.

kurt decker

Jessie Durko's tree in Davie, Florida.

Screenshot_20201106-133850.jpg

Coryphagrowers
1 hour ago, masatepino said:

Impressive palms!  I have never seen them here in Nicaragua, but of course in Costa Rica and Panama, and I got some seeds from San Pedro Sula, Honduras.   Half of the seeds germinated, but they grow very slowly.

Yes I read that they where introduced at the Panama Channel decades ago, and from there someone introduced them to Costa Rica’s southern pacific coast

Coryphagrowers
11 minutes ago, kurt decker said:

Jessie Durko's tree in Davie, Florida.

Screenshot_20201106-133850.jpg

So huge! You know how old is that one?

colin Peters

here is one flowering at Hoomaluhia gardens Oahu, HI. and it after many months later.IMG_0465.thumb.jpg.ba305dfe3b162ddeb96450b5db4fbe12.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

Josh London
On 11/5/2020 at 3:55 PM, Coryphagrowers said:

Hola! My name is Paola and I live in Costa Rica.

Long story short...almost a year ago my partner and I got curious about some massive palms that had a huge flower on top, months later we saw that one of them was bearing fruits, so we started researching on the internet because it was not a common species found in our country, so we found out that these palms where possibly Talipot palms or Corypha umbraculifera, due to the characteristics that they had. Not so many people know about this here in our country, so this exclusive event of nature, ended up not being noticed, and the neighbors didn’t got too impressed either. We also read about the unique way in which they reproduce, so we felt that we had to honor this palm genetics, so we gathered a lot of seeds, and seedlings that where germinating under the dying palm mom. 
Since these palms are not native to Costa Rica, we wanted to understand a bit more of how they got here to the pacific coast of costa rica, so if someone has knowledge about this it would be interesting to know the history if these amazing palms.

Also, we are just nature and plant lovers, so we don’t have any experience on growing these type of palms, so we would appreciate if anyone has recommendations about light exposure, fertilizers, or any tips that you can give us, so we can get to have them healthy and growing in good conditions.
And since it is so hard to reproduce these beautiful palms, do you guys know if there is any conservation program for these species? Or if you think they can be transported to a specialized nursery or something like that?

Any comments would be appreciated.

I will attach some pictures, from the adult palms as well as the seedlings and young palms, I just feel they are magnificent and they need to be admired:

Hi. Finca Isla, in Puerto Viejo (run by the Kring family) has a massive Talipot palm.  The previous owner somehow acquired the seeds and it is now more than 40 years old. I too live in Costa Rica and would like to get some seeds from you so I can grown the Talipot.  Can I contact you somehow?