IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia marti habitat, north shore Oahu Hawaii

colin Peters

Usually the trade winds fill the mountains with clouds, but this was an onshore "Kona" wind day, so crystal clear for the early going. Ran most of the way up. 

One shot is of Pritchardia kahukuensis, the rest are P. marti, as best as I can tell. One shot is of the trail going under a large Koa tree. Gotta be worth some cash. One shot

shows the tunnel of strawberry guava, a very highly invasive specie here, becoming a sea of it here, and swallowing all natives as it advances. 

One of my favorite areas to go to. Aloha 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Awesome! 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Thanks, it was fun. I will say in all the travels to P. bakeri, kahukuensis, and marti, over the past 10 years or so . I have never seen a single ripe seed. 

rats are eating all of them and gradually as the old trees die off the Pritchardia in habitat will die out, I hope this is wrong. 

aloha

Thank you so much for sharing the habitat shots I think we all enjoy them very much hopefully you are wrong about the rats. The pictures,are great aloha 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Thanks, it was fun. I will say in all the travels to P. bakeri, kahukuensis, and marti, over the past 10 years or so . I have never seen a single ripe seed. 

rats are eating all of them and gradually as the old trees die off the Pritchardia in habitat will die out, I hope this is wrong. 

aloha

I haven't researched and am sure there are efforts to try to control or eradicate the rats (eradication probably not realistic at this late point).  Any information you can share about efforts to help save these indigenous palms in habitat?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy, I don't know of any in particular to save the palms, but one group is trying to save and study the 

native Oahu elepaio, a native bird, by putting rat traps out.  In the back of Aina Hina valley, just a couple of miles

from here.  My son took a field trip there in HS and said it was cool to see and hear them.  It seems to be working on 

controlling the rats, and they are able to reproduce.  I used to see them in Kuliouou, but haven't heard one in many years.  

There are lots of Pritchardia here in botanical gardens and they seem to have black ripe seed, at least on the ones

I have seen.   Aloha

• Upvote 1

Great photo's.  Here are a few deep down in one of those valleys right at stream level.  Lots of fruit and I've seen lots of ripe fruit in the valley.

The guy in the floppy hat is Dr. Hodel who I took into the valley to show off it's many P. martii's in 2009.

IMGP2133.JPG

IMGP2147.JPG

IMGP2135.JPG

IMGP2138.JPG

IMGP2152.JPG

IMGP2156.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae