IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bamboo Palm | First Plant

Vicinity

Hey folks. I am new here. I am new to plant care. I received this pretty, tall "Bamboo Palm." I have had issues identifying specifically what it is, so that I can find care tips for it.  All I could really do was get a general sense looking at similar palms (cat?). I thought I was doing terribly because the car ride home stressed it out quite a bit, but its actually held up pretty well the last few months. I noticed some new leaves developing. I live in the pacific northwest.

A lot of tutorials I've seen mention that one should remove dust from the plant? That seems a bit meticulous, as I don't have a traditional feather duster. The seller told me to water it once a week, but it seems to really enjoy me doing this every 3 weeks or so, because the plant has since grown more leaves than when I took this photo. I obtained the plant mid-to-late Autumn

image.png.bb843f396f339db5dd0766b11e99e63d.png

Most importantly, this plant has many seeds. They are green. I read somewhere that they're ready when they've turned black? However, I'd like to remove them and archive them as soon as possible. Is this something I can do safely? How do I archive the seeds for later use?

image.png.21541462d493c17aa15f5ec1f6f6ce1d.png

I think the yellow seeds have since withered to nothing

I found this video to be charming

Welcome to PalmTalk. I believe your palm is Chamaedorea seifreizii, a clumping palm from Central America. I can't remember if ripe seeds are red or black for this species but green seeds are not ripe. Sexes on Chamaedoreas occur on separate plants. It looks like at least one of the plants is female. As growers artificially cluster these palms for sale you may also have a male in there somewhere or your female may have come into contact with male pollen at the nursery as the seeds appear to be viable at this point. But you need one plant of each sex to tango.

Be careful not to overwater them, esp. in winter, although it sounds like you are being careful. Water when the top couple inches of soil are dry. The soil should drain easily and not stay soggy. Never let the pot sit in standing water. If you are worried about dust accumulation, give the plant a tepid shower in the bathtub once a week or so.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hi Mate, @Vicinity welcome to Palmtalk.

As Meg said it is probably Chamaedorea seifreizii, and when ripe the seeds will be Black.  If the seeds ripen to red it is Ch. microspadix. But in either case it is not usually possible to 'archive' these seeds for later use. If you pick them green they will die. Freshly picked ripe fruit sprouts best (after the black flesh has been removed).  Then after ripening the longer that the seed waits to be planted the less chance that it will sprout. I would not treat the 2,000 yr old date seeds that sprouted in Israel as being typical. 

But I wonder too, how old Chamaedorea seifreizii seeds that others have grown have been?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 1 year later...

Hey folks! This palm is doing ok I think but could really use some help. Many parts have died off, but many parts are new. No longer does this plant stand straight neat-like, it's reaching pretty far.

I had re-potted this about a year ago and it's grown quite a bit since then. The shock of the repot killed maybe 20%, but the rest of the plant was pretty excited about it. I'm not sure when Im due to do this again, or if its necessary.

I noticed that the soil was staying wet for much longer than usual. After say 3-4 weeks, I decided to go ahead and water it again anyway. Now there is a shallow layer of white mold on the soil?? I was worried about this, but a couple weeks later I see that the plant has grown even more seedling branches. I think this to be a good sign? Though I am not totally confident that those will thrive.

Here is the big thing: I was unable to find another plant to purchase this year and I see now, finally, that the seeds are looking to prepare themselves for planting. I have no idea how to use these seeds when the time comes, which is quite soon. Especially considering that the winter is coming to an end. I want to be ready. I'm willing to buy a bunch of small containers (?) to see how many I can get going. I believe my living space is ideal for the plants and want to take advantage. I know absolutely nothing about this approach and would appreciate if there are links to this effort. 

Please see updated photographs. The tiny seedlings I posted about earlier did die off, see photo. They're stand alone, should I leave them as is, or cut them?

Signed, concerned future parent Vicinity

O1YCRxO.png

Yas7QIw.png

Qfuntal.png

sV1vfZg.png

BlqV4hz.png

Edited by Vicinity