IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Propagating CYRTOSTACHYS RENDA

chocolatethunda

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to propagate Cyrtostachys Renda (lipstick palm, sealing wax palm). Any advice on doing this is highly appreciated.

Below is one I bought here in Aruba

IMG_4230.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Yea plant the seeds and they germinate very easily. 

I meant propagating by dividing the plant, is it possible? 

• Like 1

You can, division is a common way to propagate. I’ve found that the younger the off shoot is the better chance of survival. You also need to get as many of the roots as you can without damaging them.  I’ve seen a garden in Thailand whee they propagated C. renda this way by the hundreds. My success rate is about 50/50, but then I don’t need a hundred of them. 

Each offshoot is actually a runner with it’s own small root system, that’s what I was referring to above. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 hours ago, chocolatethunda said:

I meant propagating by dividing the plant, is it possible? 

That looks like a very expensive palm. Are you sure you would want to risk it?

• Like 1

When selecting which part to try first, look for a leafed-out stolon instead of a sucker, they are easier to worth with.

The stolons are the horizontal growing extensions that poke out from the base. Select one that has reached the point where they have turned upwards and have begun to grow their own leaves. They often have pseudo-roots in the form of bumps along the side. You can pack soil around them to allow the roots to grow into the soil, or you may pack sphagnum moss around them to keep them moist; sort of like an air-layer. As soon as the stolon produces new roots, you can separate the stolon from the main plant. Use a clean tool to make the cut and plant the new division in a pot. Some growers like to use a sterile medium, others use straight potting soil that drains well. Depends on how seedlings, cuttings, etc. grow in your situation.

Not all plants may produce stolons regularly, however. I have done divisions with both stolons and suckers and had much better results with stolons. Whether you try suckers or stolons, weather is a key part of the process. It should be hot and humid when attempting to make the division, either naturally or you can induce it by placing the divisions under plastic, like in a small make-shift lean-to. I have rooted some in a large fish tank turned upside down.

Like with anything else plant related, practice makes perfect. There are certain liquid fertilizers and growth inducers that can help, but they can be cost prohibitive. You get a healthier plant in the long run if it does all the work itself. This is a basic description of the process and there are other finer points that may arise that I didn't mention. There are quicky methods too, that save time but are far riskier for the life of the entire plant.

Ryan

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

South Florida

I have grown and propagated these by division over 25 years on the same palm.  I grow them out until they are too tall to bring inside, about 10' tall.    First thing I do is what Ryan stated above with the smaller stolons and suckers by cutting them with a serrated knife.  I then get more aggressive.   I soak the root ball under water for at least a couple of days to make sure the palm has plenty of moisture.  I take a large pruning saw and find a good place to saw through the entire root ball without doing too much damage.  This sometimes kills a trunk or 2, but works out.  Do not try to be too greedy and saw into more than 3 pieces, or the root ball will be too small and you will fail.  To be safe, just saw it in half.  Rooting hormone is your friend.  I sell the large/tall part of the palm, and keep the smaller trunks to grow out again.   Good luck it can be done.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1