IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coccothrinax borhidiana hybrid aging with grace

aztropic

Tree is getting better looking every day! Current picture with its first real crop of seeds...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16040780738062676769786206012951.jpg

16040782016638932572955527044385.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Yes looks great, better with age.  Some palms look best when young(kings), some look better older(W. fiifera).  Those that look better as older specimens are more rare in my experince.  Looks like a happy palm to me!

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Looks great Scott!  Any idea what the borhidiana is crossed with?  You might have mentioned it in another thread but I don't recall.  Hope seeds are viable for you!

Jon Sunder

I believe it's a borhidiana x miraguama cross.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Coccothrinax macroglossa has also hit its stride as a star seed producer this year.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16042468997268188086580077711449.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Oh boy. Here goes. You think planting that seed is a good idea? I've thought about this a lot. I grow coccothrinax by the thousand. Used to be, when most seed was wild collected, hybrids were rare and interesting. Now that most seed comes from cultivated sources, virtually every batch of seed contains hybrids, and often a fairly large percentage. In my way of thinking, this is gone from interesting to alarming. Lots of people don't recognize hybrids, and sell the plants as whatever they got them as. We're going to lose these things as species. The first big wave of copernicia seed came into Florida 20-odd years ago. Lots of who-knows-what, is seeding now all over South Florida, and the seed is marketed as the desirable species it was originally sold as. But that's not what the plants are. Coccothrinax is getting worse than copernicia, due to hybridization. Luckily, most hybrids are recognizable as 1 gallon plants. I throw mine away at that size, i've talked a few other people into doing the same thing. I'm not a purist. And I'm not trying to tell anybody else what to do. But the hybridization rate of these things is much higher than other genera, and in most cases we are only one or two generations away from source. What's it going to look like in a couple more generations, as batches of hybridized seed get planted? Food for thought

I've been to Cuba and even there,hybrids were already growing naturally, everywhere. Even if you have a known pure parent you are growing for seed production,contaminating pollen can be blown in from anywhere,especially in a climate that supports successful growth of that species. My hybrid borhidiana were sold as pure as the seed came off a pure tree grown from habitat collected seed.Supposedly,no other Coccos flowering at the same time,yet hybrids were produced.They have actually turned out to be better,hardier, plants than either parent under my desert conditions and grow 3 times as fast. It's a desireable trait for desert growers as very few plants grow well here without considerable effort. Crazy as it may sound,my coccothrinax plants are probably the only ones in the entire state of Arizona to actually have produced viable seed.It is still pretty much an unknown genus here,with little to no interest.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

First batch of Coccothrinax macroglossa seed,grown from my own tree,planted 10-10-2020 has already started to pop in just 3 weeks. No special care... Just put them in some dirt outside,watered,and voila.Maybe some will eventually grow out bluer than others,maybe they will all look the same. Who knows... That is part of the fun of growing from seed.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16042681024621307488687720667009.jpg

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona