IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone grow Typhonodorum Lindleyanum

Keys6505

I have 2 T. Lindleyanum plants that I've grown from sprouts that I got about 4 years ago.  I've never been able to find much info about them online so hoping someone may have insight.  I'm in 9a (averages out to 9b over the last 10 years) just south of Houston so I move them inside when temps go under 50.  This is getting harder every year since they weigh A TON due to the fact that they are emergent plants so their roots always need to be wet.  I grow them pot-in-pot with a mix of about 50% peat and 50% coarse sand with the media pot completely submerged in water in the larger pot.  This is my first year in TX (moved from NJ) and one completely outgrew the other so I'm trying to figure out exactly why so I don't lose another half season experimenting.  I started with both on the patio, pot-in-pot, in full sun.  I repotted the larger one in early summer but only bumped him up a few gallons with fresh media and they were both the exact same size at the time.  He went back into the patio in a larger white plastic pot thinking it might keep the roots cooler.  They both looked pretty rough all season, alot worse than they used to in Jersey.  I got tired of looking at the sickly plants so I moved one off to the side and put the other in an in-ground mini pond thing in the middle of my "jungle" and kind of forgot about them.  When I grabbed them to pull them inside for our cold snap this week the difference in growth was drastic.  So I'm trying to figure out what the cause was and hoping that maybe someone else may have an idea.  My hypotheses:

-They grow better part sun.  The jungle planted one was probably out of the sun by 2 when it was in direct sun all day on the patio.  This was never an issue in NJ but the sun is obviously stronger here.

-Burying the water container for the jungle plant kept the roots considerably cooler.

-Repotting was key and it just took a while to get past the transplant shock.  I've repotted these multiple times before, however, and they've usually kept right on going without missing a beat.

-Lastly (the long shot), I didn't fertilize either plants this year other than maybe a shot of MG at one point.  The jungle pot was full of tadpoles, maybe the waste/nitrogen they put into the water acted as a fertilizer?

The larger one is very crooked because it tipped without me noticing and tried to straighten itself.  Other than that the difference in size is substantial.  Any input would be appreciated!

20201028_183234.jpg

20201028_183255.jpg

They do well here. My neighbor has some that are huge. Probably 4 or 5 feet of gray trunk. Planted in full sun. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

They do well here. My neighbor has some that are huge. Probably 4 or 5 feet of gray trunk. Planted in full sun.

Do they stay outside year round?  Planted in water?  Anything I've ever read said they turn to mush under 50 degrees.   Thanks

Edited by Keys6505
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Keys6505 said:

Do they stay outside year round?  Planted in water?  Anything I've ever read said they turn to mush under 50 degrees.   Thanks

They’re planted outside. There are actually several in my neighborhood. Not planted in water. If I remember on I’ll take some pictures of them Sunday and post them. With my work schedule and it getting dark so early, that’ll be my next chance. 

I've grown them for years, the oldest plant is about 15 years old. Once established they seed prolifically so no shortage of seedlings as viability seems about 100%. Mine are in a small pond with soil. Never fertilise but leaves fall in and I just leave them. They have filtered sunlight most of the day.

The pond is very over grown these days but this is a photo of the main plant when it was about 5 years old, about 10 years ago.

gwn10110350.jpg.cd651fbf656ada941b28b358f660447f.jpg