IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any ole wind that blows

DoomsDave

Here’s one of my Roystonea borenquenias banged up by the Satan Annie wind on Monday of this week

7B39E900-D801-458E-B07A-E2574ED697E0.thumb.jpeg.eca99fde76e2524d9616fdeb39939cf1.jpeg

46D9D7B0-F224-4378-A1B2-0A4C1DBD7266.thumb.jpeg.4445e63d55b4b5442f223adb460284a7.jpeg

7D84EA15-96C4-43FB-A473-B7091E29A5D5.thumb.jpeg.e353b29554a3424d6d6d2f10bb0ce70f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Show us your wind damaged palms!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here is my weather beaten palm, not wind but snow if it makes you feel any better? :)

The snow has now since melted and this palm is back to its perky self.  I hope you folks in Cali can get a break soon.

4A83AC83-C8E8-474E-A7FA-EAC71273FDEC.jpeg

Edited by ChrisA
Spelling correction
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

Here is my weather beaten palm, not wind but snow if it makes you feel any better? :)

The snow has now since melted and this palm is back to its perky self.  I hope you folks in Cali can get a break soon.

Feel like a whiny sissy 

• Upvote 1

You’ve got a right to.  I think it was this big-ass storm that made the winds even worse earlier in the week.  We went from a high on Sunday of 77F after having been in the 80’s for the last 2 months, to 25F just twenty four hours later.  The temperature dropped all day on Monday. I’ve never seen a below freezing day here in October.  We often don’t even get to 32 at night during the month of October. First frost is usually in November.  But hey, it’s 2020 and all bets are off.  I’m just glad that the Stay-Puffed guy hasn’t shown himself as was prognosticated! :floor:

A6647E21-78E1-4758-AFFD-F8594EDE9D32.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

You’ve got a right to.  I think it was this big-ass storm that made the winds even worse earlier in the week.  We went from a high on Sunday of 77F after having been in the 80’s for the last 2 months, to 25F just twenty four hours later.  The temperature dropped all day on Monday. I’ve never seen a below freezing day here in October.  We often don’t even get to 32 at night during the month of October. First frost is usually in November.  But hey, it’s 2020 and all bets are off.  I’m just glad that the Stay-Puffed guy hasn’t shown himself as was prognosticated! :floor:

A6647E21-78E1-4758-AFFD-F8594EDE9D32.jpeg

Oh but the wind can get rather nasty here as the British would say 

You’re in something of a hostile environment But ....

Lets us hear from the Texans!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Show us your wind damaged palms!

Wind was strong, but not too bad down here in Coastal North San Diego County.  The extent of my damage was due to the old inflo's from my neighbor's Washie blowing down and landing right on top of my Microcycas calcoma.  Fortunately the one that hit it was old and dry so not too heavy, but it did flatten out the last flush which was frustrating as it will be many months before it flushes again.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

49 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Wind was strong, but not too bad down here in Coastal North San Diego County.  The extent of my damage was due to the old inflo's from my neighbor's Washie blowing down and landing right on top of my Microcycas calcoma.  Fortunately the one that hit it was old and dry so not too heavy, but it did flatten out the last flush which was frustrating as it will be many months before it flushes again.

Not good.

15 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Lets us hear from the Texans!

No wind damage here, thankfully.  Approximately 30 mph wind gusts from the latest cold front.  It did knock over my potted Hyophorbe lagenicaulis but that's about the extent of it.  After not having any low temps below 60F we hit 40F after a day with a high of only 46F!  Yuck!  

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

23 hours ago, ChrisA said:

Lmao! us Californians can be quiet now.

• Upvote 1

I’ll try to get some pics tomorrow. It was a sad day coming home from work to see several palms that looked beautiful all summer look wrecked. My Various Archontophoenix took it the worst in the back yard in an area that is a wind tunnel up against the north side of my house. 

My two Roystonea are undamaged somehow but they are only about 13-15 ft tall much much smaller than Dave’s.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, James B said:

I’ll try to get some pics tomorrow. It was a sad day coming home from work to see several palms that looked beautiful all summer look wrecked. My Various Archontophoenix took it the worst in the back yard in an area that is a wind tunnel up against the north side of my house. 

My two Roystonea are undamaged somehow but they are only about 13-15 ft tall much much smaller than Dave’s.

They’ll grow right back

35 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

They’ll grow right back

That is the nice thing about Archontophoenix is the speed of growth!

12 hours ago, James B said:

Some night time damage shots.

6C9B7BF0-25E2-4285-AD47-924505771AF5.jpeg

19E183D3-3E6F-4445-B6CE-642428B23D48.jpeg

52A42ACE-87CB-487C-BC9B-FD70A1CBB97A.jpeg

“My friends it is a mere flesh wound!”

You might remember long after the palm grows out of it!

• Like 1