IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Canary Island Date Palm Sprouts - progression thread (College Station 8b/9a)

Teegurr

These are some CIDP sprouts I am getting after planting on Sep 8, 2020. I will be posting updates of these plants.

20201029_171122.jpg

20201029_174545.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Teegurr said:

These are some CIDP sprouts I am getting after planting on Sep 8, 2020. I will be posting updates of these plants.

20201029_171122.jpg

20201029_174545.jpg

Yay congrats on your CIPDs

• Upvote 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

6 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

Yay congrats on your CIPDs

Thank you very much! These were easy to germinate. Just plopped the seeds in the pots, watered when needed, and waited. Also, I put the seeds in sort of deep, like 1.25-1.5 inches.

Great job!  I always get so excited sprouting seeds, but for some reason I SUCK at getting them past the strap leaf stage, they ALWAYS die on me!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChrisA said:

Great job!  I always get so excited sprouting seeds, but for some reason I SUCK at getting them past the strap leaf stage, they ALWAYS die on me!

I think its because they don't get enough water.

• Upvote 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

51 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

I think its because they don't get enough water.

I saw that other thread with the plastic pots and the trays, I’m going to look into that. Would be a huge help, I really want to do more growing from seed. Have you germinated any seed?

2 hours ago, ChrisA said:

A few years back I was in the same boat.  Only the really tough ones would survive - anything remotely tropical would perish within a year.  But after joining here and reading up on others experiences - particularly with improved soil mixes - I'm killing a lot less now!  :lol:  My climate challenges here are more from intense sun and limited shade rather than cold but they are there nonetheless.  Well-draining medium is key for success in containers and it comes with a cost, but it's worth it.

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

I think what stumps me is the well draining aspect vs. drying out too fast!  Also for the very few that seemed successful, moving them to a bigger pot sealed the deal...

9 hours ago, ChrisA said:

I saw that other thread with the plastic pots and the trays, I’m going to look into that. Would be a huge help, I really want to do more growing from seed. Have you germinated any seed?

Yes I have grown date palms. Use a paper towel and a plastic bag to get them to germinate and once the roots get 1/2-1 inches long pot them up and wait about a month put plastic wrap over the pot and only water it when it looks like the soil needs water.

• Upvote 1

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

After three days, here are new pictures. The one in the terracotta pot seems to have grown quite a bit.

20201101_184805.jpg

16042785366418700631106232654729.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently sent some CIDP seeds to another Palmtalker and decided to sprout one myself.  I didn't plant mine as deep and the radical pushed up the seed into the air.

IMG_20201111_205853.jpg

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

I recently sent some CIDP seeds to another Palmtalker and decided to sprout one myself.  I didn't plant mine as deep and the radical pushed up the seed into the air.

IMG_20201111_205853.jpg

Nice work man! Good luck on your journey! 

I don't buy date palm seeds when I can just eat dates from my pantry and save the seeds.

• Like 1

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

27 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

I don't buy date palm seeds when I can just eat dates from my pantry and save the seeds.

Yeah, but not CIDPs, right?

2 hours ago, Teegurr said:

Yeah, but not CIDPs, right?

diffidently not cipds I only grow medjool

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

3 hours ago, Fusca said:

CIDP dates are edible, but they taste terrible!  :sick:

Yeah I had one, it was super astringent and left a dry taste in the mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

Here they are 11 days later. I also have two more (not shown) that are outside. They handled 56F well last night so I'm leaving them out another night, it won't get colder than that. Anyone know at what temperature small strap leaf CIDPs sustain damage? 

20201123_222757.jpg

20201123_222856.jpg

Edited by Teegurr
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Teegurr said:

Here they are 11 days later. I also have two more (not shown) that are outside. They handled 56F well last night so I'm leaving them out another night, it won't get colder than that. Anyone know at what temperature small strap leaf CIDPs sustain damage? 

You shouldn't have any problems with them outside unless it drops below freezing for more than 24 hours or below 25F for several hours.  I kept my cold-hardy seedlings outside under a covered patio all winter the past three years only bringing inside the most tender ones when it hit 20F with no issues.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

11 hours ago, Teegurr said:

I germinated some in the spring and I left them outside until just a few days ago.  We've had a few nights of frost with no damage.  Most are still in strap leaf, a few are pushing out their first divided frond.  Not bad growth for only six months from seed.

CIDP2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

I germinated some in the spring and I left them outside until just a few days ago.  We've had a few nights of frost with no damage.  Most are still in strap leaf, a few are pushing out their first divided frond.  Not bad growth for only six months from seed.

CIDP2.jpg

Wow, they are certainly cold-hardy! That surprised me, as small strap leaf seedlings, that they can survive frost. Thanks for the picture as well, it gives me an idea of how they'll look in a few months time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Teegurr said:

20201123_222856.jpg

nice giraffe 

• Like 1

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 9:09 PM, Fusca said:

IMG_20201111_205853.jpg

After this I reburied the sprout but it pushed back up even further!  About 90% of the sprout was above the soil!  This time I completely repotted it.  It was trying to escape from that soil mix!  I've never seen one come out that much before.

IMG_20201213_132802.jpg

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

5 hours ago, Fusca said:

After this I reburied the sprout but it pushed back up even further!  About 90% of the sprout was above the soil!  This time I completely repotted it.  It was trying to escape from that soil mix!  I've never seen one come out that much before.

CIDP's get deep roots fast.  Once they hit bottom, the only way to go is up.

43 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

CIDP's get deep roots fast.  Once they hit bottom, the only way to go is up.

This is true, but in my case I don't think it ever hit bottom.  The tip of the radical is only a half inch below the surface in the second picture and the cup is about 6" tall.  I repotted into a deeper cup.  The seedling length is only about 4" currently.  It's as if there was concrete in the bottom third of the first cup!  (There isn't). :lol: It's completely covered again now - we'll see if it tries to escape again...

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Who'd thought we might have to replace established in-ground CIDP a month ago?  Good thing we started ours!  Mine climbed out a bit more after repotting, but is finally looking somewhat normal now.

IMG_20210223_182038.jpg

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

On 11/23/2020 at 11:32 PM, Teegurr said:

20201123_222757.jpg

20201123_222856.jpg

You don't need to worry about 56 degree weather my palms germinated in that weather

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

Here's the same one from my earlier photo, 14 months from seed.

CIDP5.jpg

Very nice growth! 

Just now, Teegurr said:

Very nice growth! 

Thanks!  I'm shocked at how fast they grow in dappled shade.  The ones I put in full sun look like runts.  I expected the opposite.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Teegurr said:

11 mo. old

On their fourth leaves. 

20210816_094434.jpg

20210816_094437.jpg

It's funny how all palms basically look the same at this stage. My sabal looks just like this. Someday I want to try a cidp though, where did you acquire your seeds?

8 hours ago, Centraltxpalm said:

It's funny how all palms basically look the same at this stage. My sabal looks just like this. Someday I want to try a cidp though, where did you acquire your seeds?

Treeseeds.com. 25 for 3 dollars. I planted 8 seeds, and 5 sprouted. Germination took 40 days. 

22 hours ago, Teegurr said:

11 mo. old

On their fourth leaves. 

20210816_094434.jpg

20210816_094437.jpg

When are y’all planning on putting them in the ground? I have a couple this size and I’m thinking of planting them in the ground next spring.

1 hour ago, joetx said:

When are y’all planning on putting them in the ground? I have a couple this size and I’m thinking of planting them in the ground next spring.

I'm not planning to, but I'd wait until the leaves are pinnate if I were to plant it. Up to knee level is a good benchmark, alternatively.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2006 at 12:30 PM, BigWaveDave said:

Hey Jason, I think that your results are amazing.  Do you think that the hydroponic plants can be transitioned to regular soil succesfully and easily?

On 8/16/2021 at 5:15 PM, Fallen Munk said:

Here's the same one from my earlier photo, 14 months from seed.

CIDP5.jpg

Hi Fallen Monk, your plants look great.  What soil mixture are you using to obtain these great results?  THank you!