mxcolin

Pygmy Date Palm Drying Out?

mxcolin

I've had this in the ground for 2 years without issue. Nothing has really changed in growing conditions, although I did remove a sucker recently. The fronds feel very papery if that makes sense and some of the new growth looks brown. The ground isn't super dry, we are at the end of a long hot summer so it could be that. Fertilizer maybe? Hadn't fertilized in about 4 months.

IMG_7628.JPEG

IMG_7629.JPEG

IMG_7631.JPEG

PalmatierMeg

I think you have some kind of Phoenix hybrid. It doesn't look like pure roebelinii to me. Pygmy dates are solitary.

• Like 3

mxcolin
22 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I think you have some kind of Phoenix hybrid. It doesn't look like pure roebelinii to me. Pygmy dates are solitary.

Not sure, all those sold around here are multi-trunk.

JLM

Are the newer fronds opening up all the way?

Jim in Los Altos

You’re Phoenix roebelenii look very healthy. Those new leaves are exactly how they should look. If you had a particularly hot heat wave in the recent past, a bit of leaf burn is possible. These palms like lots of water as you probably know. It normally takes these palms about two years to settle in California particularly if they come from Florida. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos
9 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Meg, most are sold here in CA with several trunks since growers plant them as multiples but there are cases of pure roebelenii clumping naturally too. 

Finding singles in one pot is rare here. 

• Like 2

WaianaeCrider
9 hours ago, mxcolin said:

Not sure, all those sold around here are multi-trunk.

I have about 10 in the ground.  No suckers.  Been in the ground over 10 years each.

Gonzer

Jim's answer is all you need to know.

• Like 1