IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are these seeds sketchy?

climate change virginia

I'll attempt to give some insight. Others Here may know more about Amazon and RPS.

Your first listing for the  50 Sabal X brazoriensis seeds on ebay. Sellers other items for sale are Palmy and one of them can be picked up locally with good feedback. So very likely a good Ebay seller.

Washies on Amazon, no clue

Next listing on Ebay for 200 seeds Hardy Windmill Palm tree seeds. Seller is only listing those seeds and other completed listings with feedback in the past 6 months are for power tools. So likely a person who has just the Windmill they got seed from and put on Ebay. This what I call a "Fred & Ethel" seller with good feedback. Questions to people like that such as "How old are the seed?" may be important. Good sellers will stop selling certain seeds when viability is likely to drop off. People who aren't really "plant people" will just leave the listing up.

I put the pick/collection date in the title of my listings. Some seeds are produced year round, some seasonally, and different types of seeds have different duration of viability. If you go pick up two year old queen palm seed and two year old Christmas palm seed some of the Queens will probably germinate but none of the Christmas palms. Time length varies a lot among palms from very short to very long.

Jubaea from RPS. Search the forum here for discussions on RPS and make your own decision.

Butia odorata Ebay listing. Seller has lots of palmy and other plant stuff listed and has a good feedback rating so likely a good Ebay seller (although kinda irritated me when they cut my price and people stopped buying them from me). ahaha  I can't cut my price to match because I had mine collected by another member here from a tree up in the Orlando area and paid shipping to get them. So I'll probably end up planting them and stop selling that particular kind of seed on Ebay unless I find a local palm I can collect the seed from. The palm seeds you've seen on Ebay with a ruler in the pics are my listings, thousands of sales and 100% feedback, local pickup available for all Palmy stuff.

• Upvote 3

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

RPS: I buy only seeds marked as "New". RPS has a $30.00 minimum order and charges shipping.

Amazon: I wouldn't buy any plant material from Amazon as its sellers are often 2nd and 3rd hand. You would save money by contacting an Amazon seller direct through the internet and not pay add-ons and commissions. For example, an eBay seller known as "Polynesian Produce Co" also sells on Amazon at a 40-50% markup.

eBay: Check the Buyer's ratings. Does he sell just plant material or mostly car parts, old tools, 2nd hand clothing? I focus on sellers with 99+% ratings. I also research negative reviews to find out what went wrong and how/if problems were resolved.

Also, I pay attention to what the seller says about his wares. If he makes fantastic claims or incorrect claims, I back away. Once a seller claimed to sell royal seedlings but the photo he showed was of a bifid (split new leaf) palm. Royal palms put up single, long strap leaves.

Finally, don't be tempted to buy cheap seeds from China, Sri Lanka, etc. Often the sellers are trying to defraud you. Also, US Customs seizes all incoming plant material from overseas unless it has official permits & certificates from the government of the exporter. Those papers cost big money and most overseas sellers do not offer them. Without import papers you will lose your seeds and have no recourse.

NOTE: Fresh palm seeds will be scarce until next growing season but maybe some PTers out West can send you some Jubaea seeds then. I love the look of the palm but it is an absolute no-grow here in FL. You are young enough to see one actually grow a trunk during your lifetime, although I have serious doubts this species can survive long term in VA. But you can have fun trying.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

RPS: I buy only seeds marked as "New". RPS has a $30.00 minimum order and charges shipping.

Amazon: I wouldn't buy any plant material from Amazon as its sellers are often 2nd and 3rd hand. You would save money by contacting an Amazon seller direct through the internet and not pay add-ons and commissions. For example, an eBay seller known as "Polynesian Produce Co" also sells on Amazon at a 40-50% markup.

eBay: Check the Buyer's ratings. Does he sell just plant material or mostly car parts, old tools, 2nd hand clothing? I focus on sellers with 99+% ratings. I also research negative reviews to find out what went wrong and how/if problems were resolved.

Also, I pay attention to what the seller says about his wares. If he makes fantastic claims or incorrect claims, I back away. Once a seller claimed to sell royal seedlings but the photo he showed was of a bifid (split new leaf) palm. Royal palms put up single, long strap leaves.

Finally, don't be tempted to buy cheap seeds from China, Sri Lanka, etc. Often the sellers are trying to defraud you. Also, US Customs seizes all incoming plant material from overseas unless it has official permits & certificates from the government of the exporter. Those papers cost big money and most overseas sellers do not offer them. Without import papers you will lose your seeds and have no recourse.

NOTE: Fresh palm seeds will be scarce until next growing season but maybe some PTers out West can send you some Jubaea seeds then. I love the look of the palm but it is an absolute no-grow here in FL. You are young enough to see one actually grow a trunk during your lifetime, although I have serious doubts this species can survive long term in VA. But you can have fun trying.

Thanks for the clarification

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

2 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

I'll attempt to give some insight. Others Here may know more about Amazon and RPS.

Your first listing for the  50 Sabal X brazoriensis seeds on ebay. Sellers other items for sale are Palmy and one of them can be picked up locally with good feedback. So very likely a good Ebay seller.

Washies on Amazon, no clue

Next listing on Ebay for 200 seeds Hardy Windmill Palm tree seeds. Seller is only listing those seeds and other completed listings with feedback in the past 6 months are for power tools. So likely a person who has just the Windmill they got seed from and put on Ebay. This what I call a "Fred & Ethel" seller with good feedback. Questions to people like that such as "How old are the seed?" may be important. Good sellers will stop selling certain seeds when viability is likely to drop off. People who aren't really "plant people" will just leave the listing up.

I put the pick/collection date in the title of my listings. Some seeds are produced year round, some seasonally, and different types of seeds have different duration of viability. If you go pick up two year old queen palm seed and two year old Christmas palm seed some of the Queens will probably germinate but none of the Christmas palms. Time length varies a lot among palms from very short to very long.

Jubaea from RPS. Search the forum here for discussions on RPS and make your own decision.

Butia odorata Ebay listing. Seller has lots of palmy and other plant stuff listed and has a good feedback rating so likely a good Ebay seller (although kinda irritated me when they cut my price and people stopped buying them from me). ahaha  I can't cut my price to match because I had mine collected by another member here from a tree up in the Orlando area and paid shipping to get them. So I'll probably end up planting them and stop selling that particular kind of seed on Ebay unless I find a local palm I can collect the seed from. The palm seeds you've seen on Ebay with a ruler in the pics are my listings, thousands of sales and 100% feedback, local pickup available for all Palmy stuff.

That sucks that they cut your price and what seeds did you sell.

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

3 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

That sucks that they cut your price and what seeds did you sell.

They cut the price on the Butia odorata you linked. That kinda thing happens all the time on Ebay and I'm sure I've done it to others. It's just a business thing. Say I'm going to list a particular seed. I'll look up what others are selling them for and then take into consideration how much time it takes to collect seed, if it has to be cleaned to ship how long it takes, and other variables go into figuring out the price. Sometimes it's not even worth listing certain seeds because there's a "Fred & Ethel" with one mature plant they get seed from and they don't consider their time at all plus they don't add up the expenses of selling like shipping envelopes, printer paper & ink, packing tape. They just think it's fun to sell a few seeds and get a few bucks for them. So sometimes their price is so low I won't even bother listing.

I sell seed from common palm trees here in Eastern S FL.  Some I list on Ebay and as mentioned others aren't worth the time to list there. Because not only is there time and expenses involved with the picking, packing, ,shipping, etc. but there's also the Ebay and Paypal fees. So some I just list on my website but not on Ebay while others are listed both places. I've got the website set up so people can buy seed from several types of palms and get cheap combined shipping automatically which makes it a better deal than Ebay for buyers. Here's an example https://lab-14.myshopify.com/products/z-dypsis-lutescens-palm-seed-50-seeds

11 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

They cut the price on the Butia odorata you linked. That kinda thing happens all the time on Ebay and I'm sure I've done it to others. It's just a business thing. Say I'm going to list a particular seed. I'll look up what others are selling them for and then take into consideration how much time it takes to collect seed, if it has to be cleaned to ship how long it takes, and other variables go into figuring out the price. Sometimes it's not even worth listing certain seeds because there's a "Fred & Ethel" with one mature plant they get seed from and they don't consider their time at all plus they don't add up the expenses of selling like shipping envelopes, printer paper & ink, packing tape. They just think it's fun to sell a few seeds and get a few bucks for them. So sometimes their price is so low I won't even bother listing.

I sell seed from common palm trees here in Eastern S FL.  Some I list on Ebay and as mentioned others aren't worth the time to list there. Because not only is there time and expenses involved with the picking, packing, ,shipping, etc. but there's also the Ebay and Paypal fees. So some I just list on my website but not on Ebay while others are listed both places. I've got the website set up so people can buy seed from several types of palms and get cheap combined shipping automatically which makes it a better deal than Ebay for buyers. Here's an example https://lab-14.myshopify.com/products/z-dypsis-lutescens-palm-seed-50-seeds

all I see on that is cars and somehow there is a palm thing.

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

13 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

all I see on that is cars and somehow there is a palm thing.

I make the car parts and the website for car parts was already existing so I just used it to start listing seed. Been slowly adding more types of palm seed. There's so little money involved in the types of palm seed I currently sell that the monthly expenses of operating another website (at this time) for just the palm seed would be a loss so I'm using pages 3-7 of the "catalog" on the website for the palm seeds. If sales continue to increase and I can figure out how to get the shipping calculator to combine shipping of seedlings and seed I'll set up a website just for the plant materials.

I have 5000 fresh off the tree jubaea, pure filifera seed, fresh butia, fresh mazari and will have fresh sabal and needle in about a month once they ripen.  You should be careful where you buy seed. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 11:52 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have 5000 fresh off the tree jubaea, pure filifera seed, fresh butia, fresh mazari and will have fresh sabal and needle in about a month once they ripen.  You should be careful where you buy seed. 

do you sell on ebay?

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 3 weeks later...

does rarepalmseeds ever restock their palms

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

@NOT A TA ihave bookmarked the link you sent. Very good prices IMO.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa