Dl53

Can someone tell me if this a rare palm tree or a freak of nato. I’ve never seen anything anywhere like it

gtsteve

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. 

Although not a palm, it is not unusual for that plant to fall over and straighten and grow aerial roots like that.

Monstera, I think.

• Like 1

kinzyjr

@Dl53 Another warm welcome, echoing @gtsteve

They look like Philodendron bipinnatifidum to me.

• Like 1

Dl53
29 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. 

Although not a palm, it is not unusual for that plant to fall over and straighten and grow aerial roots like that.

Monstera, I think.

Can I cut the aerial roots 

Dl53

Can I cut the aerial roots ? Will it kill the plant?

Palmarum

Good ol' Selloums. One of the principle landscape plants of S. Florida for a zillion years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

kinzyjr
1 minute ago, Dl53 said:

You can get away with removing a few, as I've done this with a few of mine, but not sure if you can remove all of them without losing them.

Johnny Palmseed
10 hours ago, Dl53 said:

They are pretty tough and can withstand some of that but it will take away some stability. They have been rooted from the base since they were planted and those roots should still be there. But I wouldn’t remove too many unless you are ok with possibly losing the plant. Also, they are very sappy and the sap will stain your clothes. I removed several of these years ago and wasn’t paying attention. My shirt was covered in sap stains. Of course it was an old shirt but it took many washings to remove the stains.

Jeff Searle

And actually this name was changed recently to Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum.

• Like 4

Tracy
8 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

And actually this name was changed recently to Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum.

As a child I recall these being referred to as "split leaf philodendrons".  Very common tropical garden plantings in post-WW2 Southern California suburbs as well as Florida.  My parents had them growing around a patio under a Ficus elastica on the far side of the pool when I was little.  Of course there were a couple of Washingtonia robusta's to fill out the typical LA garden too.  Interesting to learn that they have been "split" into a separate genus:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/dna-analysis-reveals-a-genus-of-plants-hiding-in-plain-sight-20180904/

20 hours ago, Dl53 said:

The follow up question to the answers you already received is "why cut them off"?  If you don't like the look, tear the plant out, otherwise I would leave the aerial roots.

• Upvote 1

Merlyn2220

That one looks like it is specifically pruned to show the trunk.  Normally they will grow into a giant shrubbery, so someone intentionally pruned off the old leaves and cut off the normal offsets to expose it. 

If you leave it alone it'll probably produce small offsets randomly and fill in to a shrub.  You can also behead them, and they'll grow back out of the end of the cut.  I routinely cut my clump back when it tries to spread out into the palms.  And I have one that I pruned like your photo, just because it is different. :D

BigWaveDav3

Had one of those in front of our house growing up and always heard of it being referred to as "philodendron" That house was circa 1960 in the inland empire...