IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can someone tell me if this a rare palm tree or a freak of nato. I’ve never seen anything anywhere like it

Dl53

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. 

Although not a palm, it is not unusual for that plant to fall over and straighten and grow aerial roots like that.

Monstera, I think.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

@Dl53 Another warm welcome, echoing @gtsteve

They look like Philodendron bipinnatifidum to me.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

29 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. 

Although not a palm, it is not unusual for that plant to fall over and straighten and grow aerial roots like that.

Monstera, I think.

Can I cut the aerial roots 

1 minute ago, Dl53 said:

Can I cut the aerial roots ? Will it kill the plant?

You can get away with removing a few, as I've done this with a few of mine, but not sure if you can remove all of them without losing them.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

10 hours ago, Dl53 said:

They are pretty tough and can withstand some of that but it will take away some stability. They have been rooted from the base since they were planted and those roots should still be there. But I wouldn’t remove too many unless you are ok with possibly losing the plant. Also, they are very sappy and the sap will stain your clothes. I removed several of these years ago and wasn’t paying attention. My shirt was covered in sap stains. Of course it was an old shirt but it took many washings to remove the stains.

And actually this name was changed recently to Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum.

• Like 4

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

8 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

And actually this name was changed recently to Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum.

As a child I recall these being referred to as "split leaf philodendrons".  Very common tropical garden plantings in post-WW2 Southern California suburbs as well as Florida.  My parents had them growing around a patio under a Ficus elastica on the far side of the pool when I was little.  Of course there were a couple of Washingtonia robusta's to fill out the typical LA garden too.  Interesting to learn that they have been "split" into a separate genus:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/dna-analysis-reveals-a-genus-of-plants-hiding-in-plain-sight-20180904/

20 hours ago, Dl53 said:

The follow up question to the answers you already received is "why cut them off"?  If you don't like the look, tear the plant out, otherwise I would leave the aerial roots.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

That one looks like it is specifically pruned to show the trunk.  Normally they will grow into a giant shrubbery, so someone intentionally pruned off the old leaves and cut off the normal offsets to expose it. 

If you leave it alone it'll probably produce small offsets randomly and fill in to a shrub.  You can also behead them, and they'll grow back out of the end of the cut.  I routinely cut my clump back when it tries to spread out into the palms.  And I have one that I pruned like your photo, just because it is different. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Had one of those in front of our house growing up and always heard of it being referred to as "philodendron" That house was circa 1960 in the inland empire...