JLM

I got a Bottle Palm today at Walmart. I plan to keep it potted for its whole life. I understand these grow fairly slow so these would make for a good potted palm. I grabbed the largest one they had. Price was $16.98. During summer it will be outside, i have seen conflicting things about sunlight. Should i keep it in shade or in full sun? I hear these love moist but well draining soil, which will be taken care of. Anything else i should know?

TomJ

As much sun and water as possible

• Like 2

Fusca

Mine that I bought in early spring last year got sun burned pretty badly due to it being shade-grown.  You might want to acclimate it to the sun first unless it's been sitting around in full sun at the store.

• Like 3

WaianaeCrider
25 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Mine that I bought in early spring last year got sun burned pretty badly due to it being shade-grown.  You might want to acclimate it to the sun first unless it's been sitting around in full sun at the store.

I second that.  It goes for any plant as well that likes sun but has been in the shade for a stretch.

• Like 1

aztropic

If it's in a black pot,don't forget to shade the pot,or roots might be cooked when direct sunlight hits the pot.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

JLM

I highly doubt this ever seen any sun at the store. Would probably be an amazing idea to acclimate it. It has about 5 nice fronds on it, lower ones have some light spotting. Newer growth looks nice and green.

palmfriend

They are indeed a really patient species when being potted. But when I found this one at our local market...

bp01.thumb.jpg.ec35b65965b6267d45b7fa6a0e27242f.jpg

...I had to "set it free" and it is now literally exploding. (I can't take a picture at the moment because it is already dark.) 

However, I definitely think you can keep this species potted for a very long time when really taken care of.

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars 

• Like 2

JLM

It has been inside since yesterday due to Zeta. Everything goes back outside tomorrow morning if the wind isnt too rough. But yeah, here it is! 

20201028_084632.jpg

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg

Nice palm. I fell in love with bottle palms when I first moved to FL but they were very rare. A landscaper sold and planted two spindle palms as bottles. I didn't know better then but he should have. But I liked the spindles too and they are still in the yard. I got my first bottle as a 3g down in the Keys when we first traveled there in the late 90s. Still have that one, too.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• climate change virginia
      By climate change virginia
      Hi is there a hardy alternative to bottle palms that can survive in zone 8a I don't care about the leaves the leaves can be pinnate palmate either one is fine. Thanks. 
    • Palmlover.
      By Palmlover.
      So this is my 2 y/o bottle palm the survived two winters here proving that they can grow in 9a 

• JDSwim
      By JDSwim
      Transferred recently purchased 7 gallon Bottle Palm into slightly larger container, and am now concerned that the leave's bent-over ends and/or slightly brown ends indicate issues (too much water, not enough water, transfer shock, etc...?)
      For reference, when I first transferred it five days ago, I merely used the soil that was in the nursery's 7 gallon pot, and added some mulched potting soil around the perimeter where there was a gap.  However, I failed to include a rock base, so drainage was likely an issue.  I watered (maybe about 1 gallon) each afternoon on two consecutive days (top soil within the pot was dry prior to watering).  Being concerned about the prospective lack of drainage, I removed the palm and pot on the third day, then added a rock base below the pot, and added pea gravel to the bottom of the pot, then replaced the palm with original nursery soil and the same mulched potting soil.
      I then watered that day and the next (again, maybe 1 gallon or a little less each time).  I did not water today, and took the pictures about 6:30 PM tonight. 
      The palm sees full sun (albeit through screen) about 7-8 hours each day.  Temperatures in our area of Florida since potting have been in the upper 80s / low 90s, with humidity in the high 80s%.  
      On another note, I trimmed off the boots this morning, and think I did a decent job.
      Hoping I'm just being a little paranoid.
      Any and all help greatly appreciated!

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello everyone, looking to purchase some bottle palm seeds or a  seedling. They look gorgeous growing and thought it would be fun. Any recommendations on a good place to purchase? Also thinking of putting a bigger bottle (Hyophorbe lagenicaulis) in a pot, how difficult would it be to keep it alive in arizona growing under a covered patio? 

Thanks guys and gals!
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      So I have not seen much about the other bottle palm, the Gaussia princeps.  Mine has been growing for close to 3 years, and is slow but consistent with only a couple of new fronds per year.  I know they like heat, which is why I planted mine in front of a west facing wall, so it would get both the afternoon sun and the reflected heat of the afternoon sun.  I have sandy well drained soil, which they also appreciate.  If you are growing this palm, please share your photos and growth experience.