IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Colorado?

Alex High

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you knew of or are growing some palms in Southwest Colorado. It should be mild enough for Trachycarpus and other cold-hardy species to survive with minimal to no winter protection, yet when looked up palms in SW Colorado, very few results came up. The only Trachycarpus that I know of in Southwest Colorado is a T. wagnerianus at North 8th St. and Rood Ave. in Grand Junction, CO, which I will put a picture of below. Apparently it has been there for well over 15 years. There must be other palms growing in Grand Junction and elsewhere in Southwest Colorado, and I would love to see them! Thank you!

PalmsUSA

Trachycarpus wagnerianus at 8th Street and Rood Ave. in Grand Junction, CO

image.thumb.png.2e8431060b02307eecf6bd6b6b228af4.png

Haven’t seen any in the four corners area... probably a little too high in elevation. 

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

2 hours ago, PalmsUSA said:

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you knew of or are growing some palms in Southwest Colorado. It should be mild enough for Trachycarpus and other cold-hardy species to survive with minimal to no winter protection, yet when looked up palms in SW Colorado, very few results came up. The only Trachycarpus that I know of in Southwest Colorado is a T. wagnerianus at North 8th St. and Rood Ave. in Grand Junction, CO, which I will put a picture of below. Apparently it has been there for well over 15 years. There must be other palms growing in Grand Junction and elsewhere in Southwest Colorado, and I would love to see them! Thank you!

PalmsUSA

Trachycarpus wagnerianus at 8th Street and Rood Ave. in Grand Junction, CO

image.thumb.png.2e8431060b02307eecf6bd6b6b228af4.png

is that a trachy if it is it should have protection during the winter

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I've been through most of Colorado and the vegetation was very "northern" looking to me, I don't ever recall seeing anything that looked at all interesting.  That coupled with the huge swings in temps from day to day I don't think there is really a suitable climate for anything or than maybe needles or minors.  I've had the misfortune of experiencing one day sunny and in the 80's followed by a cold front that brought feet of snow the very next morning and below freezing temps.  Alberta, Montana, Colorado and any areas just east of the rockies seem prone to these incredible weather changes that only the hardiest plants can seem to handle.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

is that a trachy if it is it should have protection during the winter

Yes, that is a Trachycarpus wagnerianus (or T. fortunei cultivar wagnerianus). I don't think it has ever received winter protection, but I may be wrong.

4 hours ago, Chester B said:

I've been through most of Colorado and the vegetation was very "northern" looking to me, I don't ever recall seeing anything that looked at all interesting.  That coupled with the huge swings in temps from day to day I don't think there is really a suitable climate for anything or than maybe needles or minors.  I've had the misfortune of experiencing one day sunny and in the 80's followed by a cold front that brought feet of snow the very next morning and below freezing temps.  Alberta, Montana, Colorado and any areas just east of the rockies seem prone to these incredible weather changes that only the hardiest plants can seem to handle.

That is a good point. I know SW Colorado receives frequent snowfall in the winter months, so you are probably right about there being a limited number of palm species that can grow there.

Edited by PalmsUSA

6 hours ago, doubravsky said:

Haven’t seen any in the four corners area... probably a little too high in elevation. 

There are a few palms scattered throughout the Four Corners region but they are mostly Trachycarpus and needle palms.