IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big boy Dypsis

JubaeaMan138

I bought this couple years ago . It was sold as dypsis sp.jurassic Park . It looked wayyyy different than it does now . I’ve asked a few others and most came to the same Id but I have another of these in the ground that also looks wayyy different lighting is bad this morning . But this take full inland California sun it has seen 119 twice this year and also 121 when I first got it during a freak heat wave  . It’s still in a pot not ready to commit just yet . Thoughts ? It’s roughly 7 foot tall has a nice orange to dark brown fuzz on the crown . 

3BB1E689-1AF1-4B2B-B4C7-6E289F9809A0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

While we are at it how about this clustering dypsis ? This one also takes ton of sun!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by JubaeaMan138
Forgot to say something haha
  • Like 6

That second one looks very Pembana to me..... Can't wait to see the first one in the ground! 

• Like 2

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Dang, @JubaeaMan138 you've been a busy beaver!

Show us more!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Interesting how it's gone from irregular leaflets to a more V shaped one; usually it's the other way around. I've got a palm that's growing well, from Floribunda, that's similar. It was sold as Dypsis sp. affinnis if I recall correctly.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

13 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Interesting how it's gone from irregular leaflets to a more V shaped one; usually it's the other way around. I've got a palm that's growing well, from Floribunda, that's similar. It was sold as Dypsis sp. affinnis if I recall correctly.

Bret, my first observation was more that it has gone from stretched, grown in shade or greenhouse, to looking more compact in the current photo.  Leaf structure could have changed partially due to that, and leaflets on a couple of the fronds still look a little irregular to me. 

On 10/26/2020 at 6:50 AM, JubaeaMan138 said:

Thoughts ? It’s roughly 7 foot tall has a nice orange to dark brown fuzz on the crown . 

As far as species goes, I have nothing to offer.  I would say that once you decide on a spot, it will likely do better in the ground.  I wouldn't be planting this week with the dry winds blowing.  You probably have enough history planting in your microclimate to know when the best time (season) is to get new palms established in the ground.  I would suggest you take advantage of that season when it comes and plant it!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Definetly will not be planting this guy as of yet . Probably not even next spring . Hoping to finally put my pool in maybe next year . Plan on this being a statement palm around the pool area . I’ve been told this could be prestoniana .How did your prestos loom when younger Tracy? Not sure if you had them around this size ? Any comparisons . I’ll try to snap a few closer pictures tomorrow if the leafs and crown .  As for the smaller clustering palm I honestly think I got that palm from Kevin weaver  I remember that day although it’s been a few years now it was in a 1 gallon and He had lutescens hybrids and pure lutescens and also Cabadae . It’s for sure one of those 3 atleast that’s what he had tagged . 

I think I might have the same as in the firs pic. I was talking to Jeff Marcus about it because he has a few planted at florabunda but still not sure what it is yet but it will get (dark mealybug) big, I think

2 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

I think I might have the same as in the firs pic. I was talking to Jeff Marcus about it because he has a few planted at florabunda but still not sure what it is yet but it will get (dark mealybug) big, I think

Any pictures?

I had to rinse off the dust from the winds . It has a nice orange that it holds much more vibrant  when it drops a leaf though . 

image.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

Sorry it took me a long time but here u go

20201103_114703.jpg

20201103_114658.jpg

Wow. Very very awesome looking palm. Definetly looks very similar .

On 11/3/2020 at 2:28 PM, JubaeaMan138 said:

Wow. Very very awesome looking palm. Definetly looks very similar .

If we do get a name on it I will let u know. Right now it's just a bunch of mabe's

On 10/28/2020 at 5:37 PM, JubaeaMan138 said:

I had to rinse off the dust from the winds . It has a nice orange that it holds much more vibrant  when it drops a leaf though . 

image.jpg

Looks very much like my D. 'Jurrasic Park'.  Will post pics tomorrow.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 10/26/2020 at 7:24 AM, JubaeaMan138 said:

Another shot of the trunks next to a Archie maxima on the right 

DE9EB904-18AA-457A-BBBE-A2D826F7A2BB.jpeg

Don't know what that suckering Dypsis is, but I like it!

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

19 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Looks very much like my D. 'Jurrasic Park'.  Will post pics tomorrow.

I look forward to seeing it . I have a prestoniana that has been in the ground for a few years and it doesn’t look anywhere near the same . So I doubt it’s prestoniana 

1 minute ago, joe_OC said:

Don't know what that suckering Dypsis is, but I like it!

A lot of people say lutescens but I don’t see it 

If it's in full sun like you say, no way D lutescens stay that glaucus.  Besides, the plain of the leaflets is very flat.  Lutescens has a very strong V shape.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here is my prestoniana this one is under a big pine tree and gets sun from sunrise to about 2 o’clock this one has changed quite a bit 

714929D2-4621-49BC-95B5-0E3A1C27F7EB.jpeg

42 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

I thaugh this was the sameoalm I pictured above and then this was found this morning 

20201105_063202.jpg

Love those markings what is this one labeled ?

Palm came from Gabriel, a fellow palm collector, who got it from the late George Sparkman.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24