IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Banana ID

DAVEinMB

This thing is huge, trunk is around 18" in diameter and appeared to be solitary. Have no idea how long it's been in the ground or if it's been through a winter. Historic Conway, SC - zone 8b.

20201025_164058.jpg

20201025_164124.jpg

20201025_164139.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

This thing is huge, trunk is around 18" in diameter and appeared to be solitary. Have no idea how long it's been in the ground or if it's been through a winter. Historic Conway, SC - zone 8b.

20201025_164058.jpg

20201025_164124.jpg

20201025_164139.jpg

Looks like a Red Abyssinian ( Ensate maurelii ) Nice find!, esp. if it has survived a winter or more in the ground.

43 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

@Silas_Sancona awesome man, thanks! Now that I know it's there I'm definitely gonna see how it does through winter. Might have to put it on the wish list haha 

:greenthumb: They're great accent plants, either in big pots or in the ground. Not a fan of persistent dry air/ intense heat/ sun exposure though. Look better w/ some afternoon shade/ filtered sun, at least away from the coast in CA. Wouldn't stand a chance thru the summers here. Neighbor behind me has regular Bananas ( not sure which type ), under full tree canopy and all of them were torched pretty badly by August this year. 

Doubt it survived winter, they can only take very minimal frost.  They have big ones like that planted all over City parks, etc here in Portland.  They dig them up along with the Brugmansia and overwinter in greenhouses.  They are so easy to over winter in a cool dry spot, until they reach about that size, because they get so heavy.  I usually let them die once they get that big and saw them up into pieces.  You cut all the fronds off and the roots and store them dry in a dark place, once all risk of frost has passed they can go back out.

Look at HomeDepot in the clearance section in late summer and you get usually snag them for $10 or less.

Edited by Chester B

I grew one in Ohio a few years ago that got massive. I overwintered it in the garage and it was not easy to get it in there because it was so heavy.

Ensete.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

I grew one in Ohio a few years ago that got massive. I overwintered it in the garage and it was not easy to get it in there because it was so heavy.

Ensete.jpg

Sweet fancy moses that thing is big

• Like 1