IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm id

gcf

1 hour ago, Frond-friend42 said:

To me this looks like Copernicia gigas.

My first thought for the first one too.  The second one looks like a Sabal but don't know which one at this stage.

Jon Sunder

It is a borassus. I always make sure to take a peek at it everytime I hit the zoo. Second one looks like Sabal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Thanks for the responses.. the second is a sabal, just not sure which kind.  The first one as Steve mentioned is at the Sd zoo.  Seen it there twice and it is a gorgeous specimen.  Wanted to add it to my wish list but wasn’t sure what it was.  I appreciate the replies.  If anyone know which type of sabal I would be interested. 

Focused on the first.  One distinction that makes it not Corypha nor Copernicia is the spit leaf bases which bring a crisscrossing thatch pattern as opposed to unsplit (brahea, livistona, copernicia, corycha appear to all be more parallel where the meet up at the trunk). This is call split vs. unsplit but im not sure exactly why.

Any other distinguishing features?