IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ID Help, Dasylirion?

Cycadsavy

Hello Palmtalk Team,

I purchased this plant a couple years ago as a Dasylirion Longissimum seedling.  The leaves at this point really look nothing like the longissimum.  Is this in fact a longissimum, or could it possibly be some form of Nolina, or some thing else?

Thank you,

E7922025-39B6-41B2-B8D3-94F709FF86A0.jpeg

38ECD36A-51EE-41D4-848D-4C468F5DAEC4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cycadsavy said:

Hello Palmtalk Team,

I purchased this plant a couple years ago as a Dasylirion Longissimum seedling.  The leaves at this point really look nothing like the longissimum.  Is this in fact a longissimum, or could it possibly be some form of Nolina, or some thing else?

Thank you,

E7922025-39B6-41B2-B8D3-94F709FF86A0.jpeg

38ECD36A-51EE-41D4-848D-4C468F5DAEC4.jpeg

Thinking Nolina ..or Beaucarnea, imo. Dasy. L. leaves are much skinnier, even as seedlings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 10/25/2020 at 8:03 AM, Cycadsavy said:

Definitely not Dasylirion longissimum so it was clearly labeled incorrectly.  Below is a D longissumum that I keep trimmed because I don't want it crowding some adjacent plants.  Each "leaf" is like a stiff blade of grass, more rounded than flattened like the plant you have.  It does look a lot like a young Beaucarnea recurvata to me, in which case you would see the bulbous trunk form soon if that is an accurate id.  I'm not familiar with Nolina to compare that to the Beaucarnea alternative.

20200503-104A6418.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

This is a striking plant.  Have they ever succeeded in Florida? 

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I should have put in Dasylirion in my question.  I see small ones propagated but don't see any big ones for sale.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

• 1 month later...