Sign in to follow this  
climate change virginia

Hardy Alternative to bottle palm zone 8a

climate change virginia

Hi is there a hardy alternative to bottle palms that can survive in zone 8a I don't care about the leaves the leaves can be pinnate palmate either one is fine. Thanks. :)

PalmatierMeg

None. You should be looking at Trachycarpus, needle palm, Sabal minor, maybe Serenoa repens.

But I've been told that bottle palms are amenable to pot growing. You will have to keep it indoors during winter.

• Like 4

jwitt

Nolina longfolia - hardy in my z7b. Check google pics.  Not a palm, beargrass. But looks somewhat similar, trunkwise.

climate change virginia
4 hours ago, jwitt said:

Nolina longfolia - hardy in my z7b. Check google pics.  Not a palm, beargrass. But looks somewhat similar, trunkwise.

oh cool my neighbors grow that

Nj Palms
On 10/26/2020 at 6:50 AM, jwitt said:

I’m assuming it doesn’t take moisture well and that’s why it’s not seen here in the East? 

jwitt

The poster said his neighbor had one in Virginia. Mine came from North Carolina where it has been successfully grown for quite some time.  It grows naturally in a  region of Mexico not considered desert. My two cents.

• Like 1

Nj Palms
1 hour ago, jwitt said:

The poster said his neighbor had one in Virginia. Mine came from North Carolina where it has been successfully grown for quite some time.  It grows naturally in a  region of Mexico not considered desert. My two cents.

Interesting. Might have to get my hands on one!

climate change virginia
On 10/27/2020 at 10:06 PM, Nj Palms said:

Interesting. Might have to get my hands on one!

I think they cover it during the winter with plastic wrap

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Zach K
      By Zach K
      I recently had the pleasure of driving through Brookings, OR on my way back home to Portland and decided to snap a few pictures.
      Please add some of your own if you also drove through! I unfortunately didn’t have all the time in the world so I didn’t get that many pictures. Hopefully I can go down and give it a thorough inspection.
      Feel free to correct my labeling  
      Enjoy!

Yucca gigantea and CIDP
      Loquat Tree

Agave

Any idea what kind of this tree is??

Little Pindo Palm and some Cannas in the front yard

Some basic Colocasia

Sturdy looking Washingtonia 

Why do Trachy’s always look like this near the coast?? Also hello little Strelitzia reginae

Interesting way to prune a CIDP

Cant wait to go back and visit!

• graupel
      By graupel
      Hi everybody!
      I have a serious problem with germination of the coconuts. Many coconuts start to rot during the germination (some seedlings survive only). The surface of the coconuts and the embryo are covered with the white fuzzy / powder mold. I realize that the germination of the coconuts from the supermarkets is often associated with a high risk of failure, but if it is possible, I would at least want to minimize the formation of the molds on the coconuts. Since I grow the coconut palms indoor (I have a large south window where I grow my coconut palms for several years), I would like to use some natural (not chemical) fungicides. So far, I've only tried potassium permanganate, but it didn't help. What other natural fungicide do you recommend? I read on the internet that some natural products can be effective, such as: cinnamon, hydrogen peroxide, ethanol (short-term action only), seasalt water (coconut palms tolerate it highly), baking soda and liquid grapefruit seed extract (GSE). At the moment I don't have the opportunity to experiment with all the possibilities, so to make my situation easier, I want to ask you: Which natural product has the best fungicidal effects to kill the white fuzzy / powder molds?
      Thank you!
      Sincerely,
      Miroslav

• JLM
      By JLM
      I got a Bottle Palm today at Walmart. I plan to keep it potted for its whole life. I understand these grow fairly slow so these would make for a good potted palm. I grabbed the largest one they had. Price was $16.98. During summer it will be outside, i have seen conflicting things about sunlight. Should i keep it in shade or in full sun? I hear these love moist but well draining soil, which will be taken care of. Anything else i should know?
    • climate change virginia
      By climate change virginia
      Requirements Zone has to be tolerable of 7b or 8a either one is fine (Does NOT have to be feather palm), Has to have a nice amount trunk. Thanks.