IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Filifera or Filbusta in 8a microclimate

climate change virginia

I was wondering if I should grow a filifera or filbusta in a zone 8a micro climate. The reason I say "micro climate" is because DC is pretty much a micro climat itself we havent gone below 10f since the artic blast of 2013-2014. I am growing date palms and I need something more hardy and fast growing. Thanks for your help.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

If you plan on growing them outside, either one would be difficult on our side of the continent.  They both start having issues below 15-20F in humid subtropical climates.  There are some decent specimens of Washingtonia filifera in the Carolinas. 

Filifera in particular only approach their hardiness limits in arid, desert climates.  Filibusta is a little more tolerant of our humidity and rainfall.  If you're going to put it outside, you'll want it to grow in a pot until it at least has some trunk.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Go for a W. filibusta. Mine took 8F with only defoliation. We're wet in this part of Texas. W. filifera will just up and drop dead from wet cold out of the blue. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

If you plan on growing them outside, either one would be difficult on our side of the continent.  They both start having issues below 15-20F in humid subtropical climates.  There are some decent specimens of Washingtonia filifera in the Carolinas. 

Filifera in particular only approach their hardiness limits in arid, desert climates.  Filibusta is a little more tolerant of our humidity and rainfall.  If you're going to put it outside, you'll want it to grow in a pot until it at least has some trunk.

Could I try making a plastic roof so water doesn't get in freeze on the fronds or the roots.

Edited by climate change virginia

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

7 minutes ago, buffy said:

Go for a W. filibusta. Mine took 8F with only defoliation. We're wet in this part of Texas. W. filifera will just up and drop dead from wet cold out of the blue. 

Did you every have a spear pull?

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

1 minute ago, climate change virginia said:

Never. You'll defoliate alot, but the crown will grow full every year. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

10 minutes ago, buffy said:

1 minute ago, buffy said:

Never. You'll defoliate alot, but the crown will grow full every year. 

wow so its like a deciduous tree

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I always grow things from seed I'm growing date palms its been 4-5 months since germination and most of them have only 2 fronds. This is why I need something more cold hardy and fast growing. My date palms are rockets in the summer and now its fall so there slowing down I put them in the garage so they get heat I have them under a grow light.

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 10/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, buffy said:

was it protected?

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

No protection. 

4 minutes ago, buffy said:

No protection. 

Wow how big was it

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hand collected seed from Cleburne, TX in 2011. Planted from seed in 2012. Moved in 2015. Never protected.  Pic from yesterday.   19-20f for about 24 hours and 12"+ of snow, started 2 days ago.   5270' elevation

20201026_175829.jpg

Edited by jwitt
Add pic/fix wording
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jwitt said:

Hand collected seed from Cleburne, TX in 2011. Planted from seed in 2012. Moved in 2015. Never protected.  Pic from yesterday.   19-20f for about 24 hours and 12"+ of snow, started 2 days ago.   5270' elevation

20201026_175829.jpg

wow did they defoliate at all? what was the min temp. did they die? how old are they?

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I misstated. The collection was 2012 and planted in 2013. So seven years old. Saw near zero degrees, and 7 consecutive days below 32f.  Has said total exfoliation.

The trachy on the right survived -10f in 2011 unprotected. That pic was yesterday, snow and all.

That snow is a foot deep, so the palms look somewhat smaller.

Edited by jwitt
Addition

22 minutes ago, jwitt said:

I misstated. The collection was 2012 and planted in 2013. So seven years old. Saw near zero degrees, and 7 consecutive days below 32f.  Has said total exfoliation.

The trachy on the right survived -10f in 2011 unprotected. That pic was yesterday, snow and all.

That snow is a foot deep, so the palms look somewhat smaller.

what does exfoliate mean does it mean die?

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Has seen total defoliation.  Spellchecker.

Today's pic. After 19f and a foot of snow

20201029_162228.jpg

Edited by jwitt
Addition

50 minutes ago, jwitt said:

Has seen total defoliation.  Spellchecker.

Today's pic. After 19f and a foot of snow

20201029_162228.jpg

I think that's alive could it take that and lower temps to around 9-12 degrees

• Upvote 1

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I'd say go with filibusta. Filiferas don't do well with the wet weather and humidity characteristic of your location. Either type would definitely have to be protected most winters where you are, however. 

ok ill go with the filibusta but how tall do they get in 5 years

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

4 hours ago, Laaz said:

This filbusta breazed through the 16F freeze we had in 2018, A robust 10 feet away croaked.

20201107-125546-1.jpg

are those orange trees?

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

8 hours ago, Laaz said:

Kumquats, yes I have oranges, mandarins, grapefruit, lemons & quite a few other citrus in the yard.

How do they take the cold?

We only get 7-10 nights a year where we drop below freezing. Most years we are a 9B. Never protected any of them & they do great. Two of me seed grown ruby red grapefruit trees are over 25 FT & produce the best tasting greapfruit.

yard-03.jpg

• Like 1

Sitting on the front step looking out. This is my Butia Yatty x Syagrus from Patric that got wacked by the freeze of 2018. Now really taking off.

20201107-125632-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Sitting on the front step looking out. This is my Butia Yatty x Syagrus from Patric that got wacked by the freeze of 2018. Now really taking off.

20201107-125632-1.jpg

Upper left corner, filibusta? 

9 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Found a old pic when they were just  getting going.

front01ox3-2008.jpg

Another question brother haha, what's at the base of the washy?

To the left of the washy on the left is the kumquat pictured above. The really small plant is a variegated flying dragon, the two plants out front are papaya.

• Like 1

I start them in January from seed every year. They produce decent fruit by November. There's a old Japanese guy I know that has them & protects them every year, his plants are huge & produce great crops every year.

8 hours ago, Laaz said:

I start them in January from seed every year. They produce decent fruit by November. There's a old Japanese guy I know that has them & protects them every year, his plants are huge & produce great crops every year.

Any particular variety of papaya?