GregVirginia7

McCurtain Slow Grower

GregVirginia7

Update On the McCurtain...the leaf I thought might be a more mature frond is another two leaf strap...at 62, I need it to grow faster but I think I’ll chalk this one up as a lesson in patience. It’s not going to be what it’s not...but it’s a good candidate for my zone....

2F91FC02-DA04-4B5D-AAA2-AEEED9145565.jpeg

• Like 3

donofriojim1

How old is it?

amh

It's further along than you think, maybe a 4 leaf strap. Sabal minor is a slow starter, give it plenty of food, sun, and water and maybe towards next fall you'll have mature fronds.

How much sun does it get?

Looks about 21/2 years to 3 years old to me.

• Like 1

GregVirginia7
11 hours ago, donofriojim1 said:

How old is it?

I put it in the ground around 4-years ago...it's kind of 50/50 in the direct sun category so it could probably use more light but little protection in the winter and it hasn't lost anything to the cold...

GregVirginia7
8 hours ago, amh said:

It's further along than you think, maybe a 4 leaf strap. Sabal minor is a slow starter, give it plenty of food, sun, and water and maybe towards next fall you'll have mature fronds.

How much sun does it get?

Looks about 21/2 years to 3 years old to me.

Thank you...age is probably accurate...it arrived in a 3" pot and I planted it about 4 years ago...it gets a fair amount of direct sun but I think it could use more...it's next to a Mediterranean Fan Palm salvaged from a garden center 7-years ago so the two will look good together as it gets bigger.

Chester B

Here’s one of my McCurtain minors for comparison.  I have 5 of these all around the same size that I sprouted from seed 3 years ago. 

55B0D2B2-2752-4B57-BF28-3FA58D6B538E.jpeg

• Like 2

amh

Okay, it appears that Mccurtain is a slow beginner, even by Sabal minor standards.

I've found that lots of sun exposure is the best fuel for growth.

Chester B

I had mine in pots for two years.  I planted them out this spring in full sun and since going into the ground I've noticed a significant increase in growth rate.

But I have heard McCurtain are one of the slowest minor varieties.

amh
11 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I had mine in pots for two years.  I planted them out this spring in full sun and since going into the ground I've noticed a significant increase in growth rate.

But I have heard McCurtain are one of the slowest minor varieties.

I've heard the same about McCurtain.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• RaleighNC
      By RaleighNC
      In April 2019 I posted photos of some of my plants.  After two growing seasons many of them have grown a lot.  I have tried to take the update photos from the same perspective, but often this was not possible.  I will post a few at a time.
      Trachycarpus nanus April 2019

Nov 2020

Cycas revoluta x taitungensis (April 1019)

Nov 2020

• konarikcy
      By konarikcy
      Hello all
      For those of us who do not live in the States, the USDA Hardiness zone guidelines are a useful indication of what may grow in our country. I live in Nicosia Cyprus where we have relatively mild winters for most months - it is October and we are currently 36oC  with 20oC(night).  But it will suddenly change and by January, it will be continuous cold,  a little wet with possibly zero some nights which would normally I think put me on a 9b bordering 10a zone.
      However this can be misleading as I have found out the hard way. We have months and months of Mediterranean summer reaching 46oC this year (blame global warming). This means that the USDA zone alone is an insufficient guideline for us with more extreme weather as it does not take into account the max summer temperatures, the length of summer and winter conditions, rainfall etc.
      Nowadays, I often look at what other people are growing with similar climates nearest being  Southern California and even Sydney  (not in Cyprus as there are few of us pushing boundaries I think). Having recently joined this site, I look forward to following closely what people are growing in these areas. I currently grow Bungalow palms, livistona chinensis, bismarkia, robellina, trachycarpus fortunii and waggies, chaemadorea, and many cycas, dioone and encepalartus. Here is a picture of part of my garden.
      I would be interested in hearing how other people decide on what to try apart from the obvious desperate "must have this plant" garden urge.
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Any lessons on Sabal fronds collapsing? This one is growing in Bethany Beach, DE and has been in ground for about 4-years...seems very healthy...new growth fronds are huge...any advise appreciated...just want to rule in or out any nutritional deficiencies...they collapse at the petiole...most other fronds seem strong.
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Good morning folks...these updates will seem a bit boring but...

That Sabal Minor seed I sprouted (first palm seed I’ve ever sproutEd) is getting a second strap leaf!

and...my Brazoria is getting a trunk!...I think...

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Anybody have any experience with Brazoria in zone 7? Have been back and forth with mine but the mild winter last year and wet summer this year really gave it a leg up...Looking for any expertise...