• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

McCurtain Slow Grower

GregVirginia7

Update On the McCurtain...the leaf I thought might be a more mature frond is another two leaf strap...at 62, I need it to grow faster but I think I’ll chalk this one up as a lesson in patience. It’s not going to be what it’s not...but it’s a good candidate for my zone....

2F91FC02-DA04-4B5D-AAA2-AEEED9145565.jpeg

• Like 3

It's further along than you think, maybe a 4 leaf strap. Sabal minor is a slow starter, give it plenty of food, sun, and water and maybe towards next fall you'll have mature fronds.

How much sun does it get?

Looks about 21/2 years to 3 years old to me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, donofriojim1 said:

How old is it?

I put it in the ground around 4-years ago...it's kind of 50/50 in the direct sun category so it could probably use more light but little protection in the winter and it hasn't lost anything to the cold...

8 hours ago, amh said:

It's further along than you think, maybe a 4 leaf strap. Sabal minor is a slow starter, give it plenty of food, sun, and water and maybe towards next fall you'll have mature fronds.

How much sun does it get?

Looks about 21/2 years to 3 years old to me.

Thank you...age is probably accurate...it arrived in a 3" pot and I planted it about 4 years ago...it gets a fair amount of direct sun but I think it could use more...it's next to a Mediterranean Fan Palm salvaged from a garden center 7-years ago so the two will look good together as it gets bigger.

Here’s one of my McCurtain minors for comparison.  I have 5 of these all around the same size that I sprouted from seed 3 years ago. 

55B0D2B2-2752-4B57-BF28-3FA58D6B538E.jpeg

• Like 2

Okay, it appears that Mccurtain is a slow beginner, even by Sabal minor standards.

I've found that lots of sun exposure is the best fuel for growth.

I had mine in pots for two years.  I planted them out this spring in full sun and since going into the ground I've noticed a significant increase in growth rate.

But I have heard McCurtain are one of the slowest minor varieties.

11 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I had mine in pots for two years.  I planted them out this spring in full sun and since going into the ground I've noticed a significant increase in growth rate.

But I have heard McCurtain are one of the slowest minor varieties.

I've heard the same about McCurtain.