• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What Sabal could it be?

Chris Chance

I planted this about 4 years ago thinking it was a Sabal minor but it seems like something else. Growing pretty fast and getting big and looks like it's going to trunk. Here it is when I first got it and now. Any ideas? 

rps20160301_101341.jpg

20201019_163410.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

First though us a Sabal Causiarum. 

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

*thought

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

*thought is

Urrgggh :rant: sorry LOL

14 minutes ago, James760 said:

*thought is

Urrgggh :rant: sorry LOL

Easy now, take a deep breath.   LOL   Many times my fingers do not hit the keys my brain is thinking of.  LOL

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

11 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Easy now, take a deep breath.   LOL   Many times my fingers do not hit the keys my brain is thinking of.  LOL

:floor: ya I think it's a combination of fat finger & sleepiness LOL

• Like 1

:floor2: this got entertaining! this Sabal has the causiarum but definitely not the size. I should probably get another picture for scale. 

at that age you cannot tell what kind of sabal it is.  Patience.  In another couple years the truck should thicken a lot if it is.  But inflorecences and fruit size are the way to differentiate.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

9 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

at that age you cannot tell what kind of sabal it is.  Patience.  In another couple years the truck should thicken a lot if it is.  But inflorecences and fruit size are the way to differentiate.

Gotcha. I think it's definitely not minor as originally thought.