Chris Chance

Another special palm planting

Chris Chance

Well first off the good news is I have a daughter on the way due late December.  When my son was born almost five years ago I asked to see what kinds of palms people would plant as a birth palm. Others have done the same and I thought it's such a great idea. For my son I planted a (bxj)syagrus from Patrick Schafer and it is beautiful. Let's hear what everyone thinks. 

20201019_163300.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

Fusca
51 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Well first off the good news is I have a daughter on the way due late December.  When my son was born almost five years ago I asked to see what kinds of palms people would plant as a birth palm. Others have done the same and I thought it's such a great idea. For my son I planted a (bxj)syagrus from Patrick Schafer and it is beautiful. Let's hear what everyone thinks.

Congratulations in advance!  Why not stick with the hybrid theme and plant a Wodyetia bifurcatum x Veitchia arecina?  Fast grower, looks great, hardy for your area.  She won't need to know it's a "foxy lady".

• Like 3

Chris Chance
2 hours ago, Fusca said:

Congratulations in advance!  Why not stick with the hybrid theme and plant a Wodyetia bifurcatum x Veitchia arecina?  Fast grower, looks great, hardy for your area.  She won't need to know it's a "foxy lady".

Thank you! I was actually thinking about hybrid but sometimes hard to find. I actually have been looking for a foxy lady for years. I always thought they're too tender for my area but some have claimed otherwise. Love the idea! 

JubaeaMan138

Looking good dude ! Yeah foxys should grow well for us so Ive heard .  . I’ve tried 3 small 5 gallons over the years and they don’t like ouR heat and sun for sure . You also get a bit colder than me . Plant a Copernicia !

Stevetoad

Congratulations! 

Chris Chance
3 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Congratulations! 

Thanks Steve!

10 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Looking good dude ! Yeah foxys should grow well for us so Ive heard .  . I’ve tried 3 small 5 gallons over the years and they don’t like ouR heat and sun for sure . You also get a bit colder than me . Plant a Copernicia !

Yeah I kinda figured that was the case. It gets hot and dry at times and some palms don't like it unless they have canopy. I have been waiting for some canopy so I can try some Chambeyronia here but I'm going to be patient. I like the Copernicia idea but man they're hard to find and slow. Definitely need to get my hands on one or two. Thanks man and feel free to stop by if you're around. 

Ben in Norcal

I planted a strap leaf JxS when my 6 year old daughter, Riley, was born. That would be a good choice as well!

710B441E-5EF3-435E-8F55-BC54D57E8D60.jpeg

9507E597-A43E-462E-AA9D-42135135B36A.jpeg

• Like 5

Chris Chance
3 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I planted a strap leaf JxS when my 6 year old daughter, Riley, was born. That would be a good choice as well!

Ben I like that one for sure! Kinda hard to find but I know Patrick Schafer has them. I have tried to email him recently for a price list but he hasn't responded. Yours looks beautiful! 

• Like 1

Ben in Norcal
13 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Ben I like that one for sure! Kinda hard to find but I know Patrick Schafer has them. I have tried to email him recently for a price list but he hasn't responded. Yours looks beautiful! 

If you are still using the "wildblue" address for Patric, that is incorrect/no longer used.

Fusca
10 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Patric has a new email, you might be using the old one.  Try him at coolhybrids@yahoo.com

• Like 1

Chris Chance
1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

If you are still using the "wildblue" address for Patric, that is incorrect/no longer used.

1 minute ago, Fusca said:

Patric has a new email, you might be using the old one.  Try him at coolhybrids@yahoo.com

Thanks guys! I had the old address so now it all makes sense. I thought he may have seen my name and said nope not a Chance!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Fusca

Now you've got a good Chance!

• Like 2

Chris Chance
12 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Now you've got a good Chance!

Hopefully so! 

JubaeaMan138
7 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Ben nice shirt ! It Caught my eye right off the bat ! 

• Like 2

Ben in Norcal
4 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Ben nice shirt ! It Caught my eye right off the bat ! 

Jeff Hanneman was a shredder dude!

JubaeaMan138

Didn’t know there was other metal heads among the palm world . 

Ben in Norcal
1 minute ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Thought I was a unicorn as well. :D

I call myself "The Metal Gardener."  Every weekend you'll find me listening to Slayer, Motorhead, Maiden, Sepultura/Soulfly/Cavalera, Deftones, etc. as I toil in the yard!

• Like 2

JubaeaMan138
53 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Thought I was a unicorn as well. :D

I call myself "The Metal Gardener."  Every weekend you'll find me listening to Slayer, Motorhead, Maiden, Sepultura/Soulfly/Cavalera, Deftones, etc. as I toil in the yard!

Sounds exactly like my garden . Makes your go a little faster when digging a big hole for a new palm or weeding ! The wife prefers a good classical playlist when we are out there which isn’t always bad either . 

• Like 1

Chris Chance
5 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

That's too funny! I like me a little motivational music for certain kinds of work in the yard. Definitely other metal heads around the palm world that I have met. 

• Like 2

JubaeaMan138

Maybe us palm metal heads need to get together for a heavy metal palm outing once bands are allowed to perform live again. 

• Like 1

Chris Chance
1 hour ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Maybe us palm metal heads need to get together for a heavy metal palm outing once bands are allowed to perform live again. 

I like that idea! Could be a while but definitely should do it.

• Like 1