• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another special palm planting

Chris Chance

Well first off the good news is I have a daughter on the way due late December.  When my son was born almost five years ago I asked to see what kinds of palms people would plant as a birth palm. Others have done the same and I thought it's such a great idea. For my son I planted a (bxj)syagrus from Patrick Schafer and it is beautiful. Let's hear what everyone thinks. 

20201019_163300.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Well first off the good news is I have a daughter on the way due late December.  When my son was born almost five years ago I asked to see what kinds of palms people would plant as a birth palm. Others have done the same and I thought it's such a great idea. For my son I planted a (bxj)syagrus from Patrick Schafer and it is beautiful. Let's hear what everyone thinks.

Congratulations in advance!  Why not stick with the hybrid theme and plant a Wodyetia bifurcatum x Veitchia arecina?  Fast grower, looks great, hardy for your area.  She won't need to know it's a "foxy lady".

• Like 4

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

Congratulations in advance!  Why not stick with the hybrid theme and plant a Wodyetia bifurcatum x Veitchia arecina?  Fast grower, looks great, hardy for your area.  She won't need to know it's a "foxy lady".

Thank you! I was actually thinking about hybrid but sometimes hard to find. I actually have been looking for a foxy lady for years. I always thought they're too tender for my area but some have claimed otherwise. Love the idea! 

Looking good dude ! Yeah foxys should grow well for us so Ive heard .  . I’ve tried 3 small 5 gallons over the years and they don’t like ouR heat and sun for sure . You also get a bit colder than me . Plant a Copernicia !

Congratulations! 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

3 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Congratulations! 

Thanks Steve!

10 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Looking good dude ! Yeah foxys should grow well for us so Ive heard .  . I’ve tried 3 small 5 gallons over the years and they don’t like ouR heat and sun for sure . You also get a bit colder than me . Plant a Copernicia !

Yeah I kinda figured that was the case. It gets hot and dry at times and some palms don't like it unless they have canopy. I have been waiting for some canopy so I can try some Chambeyronia here but I'm going to be patient. I like the Copernicia idea but man they're hard to find and slow. Definitely need to get my hands on one or two. Thanks man and feel free to stop by if you're around. 

I planted a strap leaf JxS when my 6 year old daughter, Riley, was born. That would be a good choice as well!

710B441E-5EF3-435E-8F55-BC54D57E8D60.jpeg

9507E597-A43E-462E-AA9D-42135135B36A.jpeg

• Like 6

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

3 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I planted a strap leaf JxS when my 6 year old daughter, Riley, was born. That would be a good choice as well!

Ben I like that one for sure! Kinda hard to find but I know Patrick Schafer has them. I have tried to email him recently for a price list but he hasn't responded. Yours looks beautiful! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Ben I like that one for sure! Kinda hard to find but I know Patrick Schafer has them. I have tried to email him recently for a price list but he hasn't responded. Yours looks beautiful! 

If you are still using the "wildblue" address for Patric, that is incorrect/no longer used.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

10 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Patric has a new email, you might be using the old one.  Try him at coolhybrids@yahoo.com

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

If you are still using the "wildblue" address for Patric, that is incorrect/no longer used.

1 minute ago, Fusca said:

Patric has a new email, you might be using the old one.  Try him at coolhybrids@yahoo.com

Thanks guys! I had the old address so now it all makes sense. I thought he may have seen my name and said nope not a Chance!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Ben nice shirt ! It Caught my eye right off the bat ! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Ben nice shirt ! It Caught my eye right off the bat ! 

Jeff Hanneman was a shredder dude!

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

1 minute ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Didn’t know there was other metal heads among the palm world . 

Thought I was a unicorn as well. :D

I call myself "The Metal Gardener."  Every weekend you'll find me listening to Slayer, Motorhead, Maiden, Sepultura/Soulfly/Cavalera, Deftones, etc. as I toil in the yard!

• Like 3

Ben Rogers

53 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Thought I was a unicorn as well. :D

I call myself "The Metal Gardener."  Every weekend you'll find me listening to Slayer, Motorhead, Maiden, Sepultura/Soulfly/Cavalera, Deftones, etc. as I toil in the yard!

Sounds exactly like my garden . Makes your go a little faster when digging a big hole for a new palm or weeding ! The wife prefers a good classical playlist when we are out there which isn’t always bad either . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Didn’t know there was other metal heads among the palm world . 

That's too funny! I like me a little motivational music for certain kinds of work in the yard. Definitely other metal heads around the palm world that I have met. 

• Like 2

Maybe us palm metal heads need to get together for a heavy metal palm outing once bands are allowed to perform live again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Maybe us palm metal heads need to get together for a heavy metal palm outing once bands are allowed to perform live again. 

I like that idea! Could be a while but definitely should do it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good news! Yesterday we had our baby girl. She's a healthy 7 pound 3 ounce baby. A few days before heading in for delivery I planted the palm. After seeing pictures of it from someone else I had to get it. And that palm is from Patric Schafer and it's Butia x Lytocaryum. Here's a look and the baby and the other baby. I'll get a picture of both together soon. Should be heading home tomorrow. 

20201227_133712.jpg

14961.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

On 10/19/2020 at 7:40 PM, Chris Chance said:

20201019_163300.jpg

First, congratulations on your upcoming family addition.

I would plant whatever you really like.  The only advice I would offer is that this is definitely not something where I would zone push.  In fact, I would select something that is always going to look good and is 100% hardy in your area.

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a