Sign in to follow this  
AS in SA

Southern California Coconut - Orange County (Santa Ana)

AS in SA

Haven't posted in a long time - thought I'd share my Southern California coconut pictures.  I purchased this as a sprouted nut back in 2007 and planted it in a whiskey barrel full of sand.  I planted a few others outdoors in a similar fashion, but don't think any lasted more than a year or two.  I've tried a few other marginal palms (spindle, bottle) which I was able to limp along for a number of years - but this one is the sole survivor.  It was in the whiskey barrel until about a year and a half back the barrel was simply disintegrating, wouldn't hold water, etc - so after digging a really big hole - in the ground it went and has done pretty well.  If you look up some of my older posts I've posted a number of pictures throughout the years.  Definitely not setting any speed records, but fronds/petioles have definitely started thickening up since it went in the ground.  

20201019_133504.jpg

20201019_133636.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Stevetoad

Nice! Has that royal tried to take it out yet? Looks like it might be in the bombing path. 

GottmitAlex
6 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Nice! Has that royal tried to take it out yet? Looks like it might be in the bombing path. 

Haha. 

AS in SA

Yeah - definitely in the bombing path.  I have a 10 ft. A-frame ladder I put over the coconut when a royal frond is getting ready to drop which has worked so far.